Chapter 19: Go Away, Katherine

Pacing nervously around in the hospital, my hands had grown sweaty and were shaking terribly. I crossed my arms to stop them as I continued to walk up and down the hallway of the hospital. How had this happened? Why did it have to happen now? Did that mean they were after us? My mid section throbbed lightly, not liking what I was doing.

But I couldn't keep still. My whole body was jumpy with nerves and I just couldn't control them. I jumped when I heard Evan's voice. "Calm down."

I turned to him, I had been pacing around in front of him the entire time. I probably looked like a deer in headlights so I narrowed my eyes and pointed at the white double doors that stood on the other side of the wall. There was a light flashing red and until that damn thing turned green, I was going to go crazy.

"That's your mother we're talking about, Evan. Calm down? You should be in my position right now. How are you so freaking calm and your mother is dying." I said, glaring at him before returning to pacing around again.

I mutter words at him. "If you hadn't been at the stupid skating park before going home, you could've saved her."

There was silence even though I was sure he had heard me. When he did speak his voice was cold and foreign to my ears. "Go away, Katherine."

Everything stopped, my whole body went still and my pounding heart slowed down to an icy pace. The hallway looked as if it was going to cave in on me and I clenched my hands into fist. I kept my back to Evan, not letting him see the stinging in my eyes. I didn't move, couldn't move. He called me by my real name, the name with the past I wanted to be forgotten.

This was a new city, new place to start over. But even here the past caught with me, destroying me over and over again. My mind was blank as I took a step forward and another, the freezing spell finally broken. I began to slow walk down towards the black set of double doors that lead out to the waiting room.

The sound of a click and doors opening made me stop and look back. The Doctor, wearing his white lab coat and a mask that hung loosely around his neck, appeared, shutting the door behind him. The little red blinking thing had turned completely off, a dull grey showed now. Did that mean she was dead?

Evan stayed leaning against the wall, his arms crossed, he waited for the Doctor to tell him what had happened.

Soon he began to explain. "She had some severe injuries that will leave some scars but she managed to survive."

"But?" Evan asked, looking the Doctor in the eye carefully.

The Doctor shifted from foot to foot, obviously uncomfortable with the way things were playing out. "She's in a coma and its up to her whether she wants to live or not."

Evan nodded and watched the Doctor return inside of the doors before starting down towards the waiting room. He walked right past me, acting as if I was a ghost, not glancing at me once. I felt a sting of hurt but let it fall. Everything had happened so fast, my mind replayed the events of earlier.

As James kissed me, pushing me lightly back on the bed, my phone went off. I was awoken from my daze of believing it was Evan and pushed James off me. I rolled across the bed and picked up my phone, not seeing if James was behind me. A quick thought rolled into my head, hadn't I dropped my phone in the alley?

"Hello?" I asked, my voice raspy so I cleared my throat nervously.

"Uh.. this is Kylie right?" A familiar voice said.

Again, clearing my throat only for safety, I replied. "Yeah, yeah, this is the one and only. How did you get my number, Ryan?"

"Phone book on Google." He said before a long pause occurred.