Part 4

I wake up a few hours later and it’s morning. I get my bow, gun, and jacket and head over to the med bus. Lourdes is beside Tom with her head bowed and her hands together. I sit across from her and look down at Tom who is still unconscious.

          He starts to twitch but I decide it’s nothing so I grab his hand and join Lourdes in her prayer. After a few minutes, I let go of his hand and Hal walks on the bus with Allie.

          “Hey Kali, have you seen Ben or Matt? We can’t find them.” He says to me. I get up and walk up to them.

          “No I haven’t but I’ll help you look for them.” I say. We walk around the camp and a few yards away from one of the columns, we find Ben and Matt.

          “Hey Ben.” Hal says. We walk towards them and they turn to us. Matt has a rifle in his hands, loaded.

          “What’s Matt doing with a gun?” Hal asks Ben.

          “Ben’s teaching me how to shoot.” Matt says.

          “Figured it was time. He needs to learn how to defend himself.” Ben says. I look at Hal who looks pretty pissed right now.

          “So you just gave him a rifle without asking me?” Hal says.

          “I might have to follow your orders on missions but, not here.” Ben says. Hal walks over to Matt and takes the gun from him. He pulls out the magazine and shows Ben.

          “Go back to camp Matt.” Hal says. Matt stays put at first and looks straight at the ground.

          “Go back to camp.” Hal tells him. Matt walks off and hands Allie the gun. “You know, maybe he’s ready or maybe he’s not. But we both know dad didn’t want that for him.” Hal says walking away.

          “Three months ago, how do you know what he’d say now?” Ben says.

          “I don’t know what he’d say right now and neither do you. Okay so how about we wait and let dad make that decision.” Hal says.

          “Only way we win this war is by killing every Skitter we see. If Matt’s old enough to load a gun then he’s old enough to shoot it.” Ben says. Hal walks closer to Ben and I want to say something but decide against it.

          “And what happened with dad you think you’re the best one to be giving lessons?” Hal says. I look at him and say his name in disbelief. Of course, he ignores my comment.

          “I just don’t want him to be taken away the way they took me.” Ben says. Hal starts to walk away but Ben isn’t finished talking. “Or your girlfriend Karen.” Ben says.

          Hal turns and charges at Ben but he catches his wrists before he could hit him anywhere. Hal struggles but Ben just keeps a straight face while he brings his brother down to his knees.

          “Ben let him go. Ben!” I say to him.

          “I’m not the math geek you used to push around. Deal with it.” Ben says to Hal. He lets him go and walks away. I look at Hal who is still on the ground and run after Ben. I catch up to him at a tree right before the column.

          “Ben, hey Ben wait stop for a second.” I say grabbing his arm trying to stop him. He stops and turns towards me.

          “What’s wrong with you? Why are you being like this?” I ask him still holding his arm.

          “Nothing’s wrong, I’m just tired of him bullying me.” Ben says plainly looking at me.

          “That doesn’t mean you have to bring him to his knees or remind him about Karen.” I say.

          “Well since you’re taking his side I guess I’ll be going.” Ben says walking away. I run in front of him and stop him.

          “I’m not taking anyone’s side I’m just saying that you need to calm down a little and stop taking your anger out on everyone.” I say trying to stay calm.

          “I’m sorry.” He whispers before walking away. I sigh and follow him to the medical bus. We go in and see Lourdes checking people’s pressure and pulse.

          “Hey Lourdes, is Tom awake yet?” I ask her.

          “Oh no not yet but he’s doing fine.” She walks up to where Tom is. “He’s breathing and he’s alive so that’s a good sign.” She says to us. Ben walks to his side and looks down at his dad.

          “How’s Ben?” Lourdes whispers quietly to me. We walk back in the other room.

          “He’s feeling really bad about everything and with him shooting Tom; I don’t think that’s helping at all.” I tell her.

          “Once Tom wakes up I’m sure he’ll be back to normal Ben again.” Lourdes tells me.

          “Yeah I’m not so sure about that. I don’t think Ben will ever be normal again.” I say quietly looking at her.

          “Because of the harness?” She asks.

          “No, well I mean yeah that but also because of everything that has happened within the past year or so. You know before the invasion, he cringed when he even heard the sound of someone cocking a gun. Now he’s like a super soldier or something.” I tell her.

          “Well this is the world we live in now so I guess he’s just trying to adjust and adapt to it, just like everyone else.” She tells me.

          “Lourdes, something’s wrong.” We hear Ben say from the other room. We rush in and walk over to them.

          “He just started bleeding and,” Ben starts to say but stops.

          “Go get Anne Ben. She should be in Weavers tent right now.” Lourdes tells him. He runs off the bus and I stay with Lourdes until he comes back with Anne.

          “I don’t know what happened he just started bleeding again.” Lourdes tells Anne. I walk over to where Ben is and stand beside him.

          “I must’ve missed a fragment. He feels feverish too.” Anne says pulling out a flashlight to check his eyes.

          “We still have a few bottles of IV antibiotic.” Lourdes says.

          “Okay get it.” Anne tells Lourdes. She walks over to where Ben and I are and closes the curtain. I look at Ben who looks extremely worried. I turn him and pull him into a hug. He wraps his arms around me for a few moments.

          “He’ll be fine don’t worry.” I tell Ben. He lets go and nods his head. “You okay?” I ask him. He nods again and we walk off the bus to help the rest of the 2nd Mass get ready to leave. We walk up behind Weaver, Hal, and Allie just in time to hear what’s going on.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share! Let me know what you all think of it so far!

2 Votes for Part 5