Part 18

Over the past couple of days, things have been sort of calm. No attacks or anything. That all changed this morning. I was walking around camp looking for Ben when I heard the boom. I ran to find Allie and Hal and I see them with Weaver and Tom.

          “Hey what’s going on?” I ask Allie. She shrugs her shoulders and we keep walking.

          “Sentry’s spotted Mech fire about one click out. Other than that we don’t know.” Weaver says.

          “Headed our way?” I ask.

          “No sign yet but we don’t wanna get caught with our pants down. I want all units on the perimeter, Tom get your Berserkers up on point to recon the situation. ” Weaver says.

          “Okay question,” Tom says.

          “Make it quick.” Weaver says.

          “Someone’s getting hit and they’re getting hit hard, if that’s another resistance group we should send another unit to assist. We’d want them to do the same for us.” Tom tells him.

          “Take the Berserkers I’ll go with Hal and his unit and we’ll flank the rest out but we’re not doing anything to jeopardize the position of the 2nd Mass.” Weaver says.

          “Okay understood.” Tom says.

          “You move out in ten.” Weaver says before walking away.

          “Okay, hey where’s Ben?” Tom asks us.

          “No idea.” I say.

          “Thought he was with you.” Hal says. Allie, Hal and I meet up with Weaver and everyone else and we start our way towards the explosion. Once we get there, we scope the place out for any survivors but see none. We see Tom and the Berserkers and Weaver whistles at them to let them know we’re here.

          I start looking around for survivors of any kind but find nothing. No shell casings, no bodies, nothing. Seems like there were no humans involved at all in this attack.

          I turn around a car and search some more for anyone. I look at the ground at a fallen Skitter and see something glowing underneath it. I get closer and see it’s exactly like when Ben’s spikes were glowing in the harnessing facility.

          “Ben?” I say to myself. I rush over to the Skitter and try to push it off him. “I need help over here!” I yell out to everyone else. They come over and Hal, Allie, and Tom help me get it off. Tom turns the kid over and instead of it being Ben, it happens to be Rick.

          “Rick? What’s he doing here?” I ask. We search some more but find nothing else so we rush Rick back to camp to Anne. After we dropped off Rick, Tom and I searched the camp for Ben while Hal and Allie searched everywhere else.

          “Hey Ben show up?” Hal asks as Tom and I run to them.

          “No.” Tom says.

          “Checked all the back roads I don’t know where else to look for him.” Hal says.

          “You gotta tell him what you told me earlier Hal.” Allie says to Hal.

          “Tell me what?” Tom asks.

          “Uh last week at the place, the harnessing facility, Ben’s spikes lit up.” Hal says.

          “Lit up? What do you mean lit up?” Tom asks.

          “They were glowing like Ricks this morning when we found him. It’s like he was making contact with one of those Skitter harnesses. Kali saw it too.” Hal says. Tom looks at me and I nod my head.

          “And you guys didn’t tell me?” Tom says looking back and forth between us.

          “He begged me not to, he felt like everybody was going to go crazy and so I promised him.” Hal says.

          “Has it happened before?” Tom asks.

          “I think so but he wouldn’t tell me anything else.” Hal says.

          “Has he told you anything at all Kali?” Tom asks me.

          “No nothing.” I say.

          “I’m sorry we should’ve told you.” Hal says.

          “Yeah you should’ve, get your unit together I’ll get the Berserkers and we’ll make one more sweep.” Tom says walking off.

          “But Weavers orders are for us to go scout pharmacies and hospitals. Dr. Glass is critically low on supplies.” Hal says.

          “Okay I’ll trade you Crazy Lee and Tector for Dai he’s a better tracker.” Tom says.

          “Sure.” Hal says.

          “Keep your eyes peeled for any signs of your brother.” Tom says walking off. I decide to go check on Rick at the med bus so we all separate and I walk away. As soon as I get there, Weaver and Anne standing over him, trying to calm him down.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share! What are your thoughts on the story so far?

35 Comments/vote/reads for Part 19!