Part 35

“General Bressler, General Bressler!” Someone calls out.

          “Sergeant. Sergeant what is it?” Bressler runs to the sound of the person calling him.

          “Sorry sir we have a situation that couldn’t wait. Our salvage scouts found a de-harnessed boy at the perimeter they’re bringing him in now.” The Sergeant says.

          “A de-harnessed boy? Did he say what he wanted?” Tom asks.

          “Only that he had been looking for Charleston and that he has a message for Tom Mason.” The Sergeant says. He leads Weaver, Tom, Bressler and Manchester back to Bresslers office. I sneak out of the meeting and follow them. I wait outside the office for a while and finally the door opens and out walks a kid with two soldiers.

          “Ben?” I say but it’s not Ben. I try to talk to the boy but the soldiers don’t let me and Weaver walks out of the room.

          “Captain Weaver, what’s going on?” I ask him. He looks at me and signals for me to follow him.

          “The rebel Skitters have found something new about the overlords. Manchester won’t do anything about it so—“He starts to say but gets cut off by Tom coming up from behind us.

          “So the 2nd Mass is going to go with or without the permission of the Continental Army. Kali you get Hal and Dai and you break Maggie and the de-harnessed boy out of their prison. After that meet us at the south doors, we’ll wait for you there now go.” Tom says. I nod and run off to find Dai and Hal.

          I tell them what’s going on, we get some weapons and we head down to the holding cells. Hal knocks out the soldier guarding them while Dai and I keep guard of the door. Hal and Allie talk and he gets her and the de-harnessed boy out of the cells. We run to meet Tom and Weaver and also Porter who is waiting for us at the doors with more weapons.

          “I managed to get you this stuff without too much fuss. You should be clear all the way into the city and the bikes are already parked outside.” Porter says.

          “You’re taking a hell of a chance to help us Jim.” Tom says.

          “I take a chance every time I drink coffee in this place I just hope you guys are right about the Skitters.” Porter says. Suddenly, the doors open and Bressler and his team come through. We raise our weapons but drop them after we hear the soldiers behind us.

          “You’re all under arrest, Manchester’s orders. He’s declared a state of emergency. All suspected dissidence are being detained.” Bressler says.

          “You son of a bitch are you ever gonna grow a back bone?” Porter says.

          “Kernel that’s enough.” Bressler says. The other soldiers take our weapons from us.

          “General I saw how you were with Manchester; you know this is the right move.” Tom says.

          “I know how Manchester sees it too.” Bressler says.

          “Seems to me you oughtta start thinking about these people instead of your position General.” Weaver says.

          “What the hell do you want from me?” Bressler asks.

          “Talk to Manchester, convince him we’re right.” Tom says. Bressler quickly makes his mind.

          “Cuff ‘em and take them inside.” Bressler says. Tector hesitates at first and doesn’t move.

          “Sergeant Murphy.” Bressler says addressing Tector.

          “I’m sorry sir I respectfully refuse.” Tector says laying his weapon on the ground.

          “Take him too.” Bressler says before walking off. The soldiers hand cuff everyone and take us back to the holding cells where Maggie and the de-harnessed boy were at. After a while, we hear someone walk in the room where we are all at and see Bressler with two soldiers escorting Manchester in.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @kalimay44 FOR MORE UPDATES ON THE STORY

45 comments/votes/reads/shares for part 36!