Part 30

“She’s unconscious but she seems to be coming to. Aside from that I think her harness might be internally damaged. It isn’t glowing.” Anne says. Tom and Weaver begin to debate on whether or not we should help her but the girl wakes up.

          “Where-where am I? Why does my body hurt?” The girl says.

          “You were in an accident but you’re okay, I’m Dr. Glass.” Anne says.

          “Where’s Tyler?” She asks.

          “Who’s Tyler?” Weaver asks her.

          “My brother, I want my brother.” The girl says.

          “I’m sorry we don’t know where he is.” Weaver says. The girl grabs his hand and uses her free one to hold her side.

          “Ow it hurts.” She says. Tom looks at Weaver and Weaver decides to let the girl stay.

          “Alright, Anthony would you please secure her in the back, we’ve gotta keep moving.” Weaver says.

          “Seriously?” I ask him.

          “Just do it.” Weaver says before walking off the bus. I look at Anthony who just shrugs. I help him carry the girl to the back while he grabs the restraints. I set her down in an upright position and he ties her hands together.

          After we get her in restraints and everything, I sit back in my old spot but with Anthony right by my side. I start to stare out the window and Anthony notices.

          “You alright Kali?” He asks me.

          “Uh yeah, I’m fine.” I say.

          “Sorry about Ben. I’m sure we’ll see him again.” Anthony says looking at me.

          “Maybe.” I say looking out the window again. I hear the girl burp and she and Matt laugh. I smile to myself and decide to go up front to check on Anne.

          “Hi Anne, how much farther do we have?” I ask sitting criss-cross on the ground beside her.

          “About 150 more miles to go. How are you doing?” She asks me.

          “I’m fine I guess.” I say looking down at my lap.

          “You guess?” She says.

          “Yeah I mean I’m not terrific but I’m not terrible either.” I say.

          “Well don’t worry; I’m sure you’ll get to see Ben again.” She says.

          “That’s what everyone keeps telling me.” I say picking at the strand of thread on my jacket sleeve.

          “Because it’s true. I know he’ll come back for you. And Hal, Matt and Tom you know why? Because he loves you guys. Now quit worrying so much.” Anne says trying to lighten up the mood. I faintly smile but it quickly goes away.

          “How about you and Tom? I mean it’s pretty clear that you guys are together now.” I say looking up at her.

          “Oh really?” She says grinning.

          “Yes really, Lourdes has proof of it too.” I say. I guess she remembered because she starts laughing.

          “Well I’m gonna go to the back with Matt and Jenny.” I say. I stand up and walk to the back to see Matt get up from his seat.

          “Dad help!” Matt screams. I rush back there to see what’s going on.         

          “What’s wrong Matt?” I ask him. Anthony comes running back here with his gun pointed at the window.

          “Don’t shoot!” Jenny screams.

          “Stop the bus!” Tom tells Anne. We stop the bus to search for what Matt saw outside the window. Tom and Anthony get off while I stay with Jenny and Matt on the bus. After everyone is done searching for whatever Matt saw, we get back on the road. For a while, we keep driving but we stop at an intersection to check our maps.

          While Tom and everyone is outside planning, I help Lourdes out with the wounded. I grab a cup of water and a cotton swab to help hydrate the patients. Anne says we’re leaving and I see Matt walk back to Jenny.

          “Charleston here we come!” Matt yells. Suddenly, I hear chains rattling in the back and I look up to see Jenny break them. I look at the window behind her and see something hanging onto the bars on the outside.

          I draw my bow and Jenny runs. She pushes Matt out of the way and runs to the front of the bus. I try to stop her but she pushes me as well into the wall and runs off the bus. I look at the window to see the thing gone but Matt is lying on the ground unconscious.

          “Matt!” I yell. Anne and I rush to him while Anthony and Tom get on the bus. Matt has a gash on his eyebrow and is unconscious. Anne tells Anthony to drive while she cleans Matt up. After doing so, she takes hold of the wheel and Tom and I carry Matt to the back of the bus. About thirty minutes later, Matt wakes up.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!

40 comments/votes/reads/shares for part 31!

(Comment that you've shared it and a link to where you shared it. The comment will count as 2)