Part 14

Everyone walks down to the grave that Weaver dug and gathers around in a circle while six people lie Jimmy down in the grave. I’m standing between Matt and Ben. Tom walks over beside Ben after putting Jimmy down in the grave. He gives Ben the compass and Ben puts it in his pocket. I grab his hand and we wait for Weavers speech.

          “How do you measure somebody? How do you define their worth? A year ago, Jimmy was just a boy. Just a little boy. And that all changed when the world fell apart and he had to step up. He had to leave that little boy behind; he had to become a soldier he had to learn how to fight. And he did. And he is now defined by those of us who owe him our lives. He is measured by his bravery.” Weaver stops for a moment.

          “This day came too soon; he died too young. But he died a hero to me. And I am proud to have served with him. Jimmy, we’ll remember.” Weaver finishes off saying. He walks over to pay his respects by throwing a handful of dirt in the grave.

          “Hey we’ll make it through this, alright bro?” Hal says to Ben. The three of us walk over, pay our respects, and go stand beside Weaver. I stand between Ben and Hal just looking at the grave. To my side, I see Bens hand just hang there and I’m debating on whether or not I should take it. I guess he saw me because he looked at me and put his arm around my shoulders.

          I wipe my eyes as a single tear comes out and rest my head on Bens shoulder. After everyone is done, we all go back to camp. I head back to the tent with Hal and Matt to finish packing up. I put all my things in the bag, take down the tent and help Hal with the beds.

          After everyone is done packing, I get on the med bus with Matt and he and I sit in the back while Anne drives. I let him sit on my lap and he falls asleep within the first few minutes of the ride. Well, onto Charleston we go.

                                               ∞∞∞∞∞

          A few days later, we stop after traveling the whole time. Ben, Hal and I go scouting once we get done unpacking and go to a factory.

          “You see that steam, the lights on; the buildings got power.” Hal says to us.

          “Whatever they’re up to in there it’s none of our concern.” I say.

          “We just need to find the safest way to Charleston which means we’ll stay far away from this place.” Hal says marking the map.

          “You’ve been quiet lately.” Hal says to Ben.

          “Nothing to say.” Ben says.

          “You barely sleep, barely talk to anyone. It’s like you’re a different person.” Hal says.

          “I don’t wanna talk about it.” Ben says.

          “We all miss Jimmy, but you’ve gotta figure out a way to put that behind you.” Hal says. Suddenly, we hear what seems to sound like our bikes being started up. We turn around to see two people riding off with them. We start running after them but they’re long gone by now.

          “Hey, those are our bikes!” Hal yells out. He picks up a rock and throws it in their direction. Yeah like that’s going to help.

          “Can you believe that?” Hal says.

          “Where the hell did they come from?” I ask.

          “We’re not going back to camp without those bikes.” Hal says running back to get the map. Ben and I stay put but when I look at him, he has his eyes closed like he’s concentrating on something.

          “What are you doing?” I ask.

          “Just trying something.” He says holding up a hand. Hal walks over and Ben opens his eyes.

          “They’re headed east.” He says. Now how in the hell did he know that?

          “How do you know?” Hal says repeating my thought.

          “I can hear their engines.” Ben says. I look at him and he shrugs.

          “Well, I guess we’re going east.” I say. We start heading east and after thirty minutes, we make it to a building where we hear the engines stop and we hear a scream and some talking. We approach the door to get a better look at it. Hal signals for me and Ben to go one way and he goes through the front door. Ben takes his gun and we go around the building until we find another door. We go through until we get to the stairs. Once we get to the room Hal is at, I quietly come out with my bow ready to shoot.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!

Now I'm not sure if Waatpad actually deleted it but it says it deleted Part so I'm just gonna wait and see if it shows up

25 reads/comments/votes for part 15!