Part 36

“Open the cells, let ‘em out.” Bressler says. They let everyone out and put Manchester in one of the cells.

          “Tom what’s going on?” I ask him.

          “I built this compound these are my people.” Manchester says.

          “The civilian government has been suspended. Charleston is now under Martial law.” Bressler says. You know I’ve never really understood Martial law before.

          “Arthur you’ve gotta believe I didn’t want this.” Tom says to Manchester.

          “Yeah well you got it, your damned alliance is gonna kill us all.” Manchester says.

          “If you wanna make that rendezvous with your rebel Skitters I suggest you suck it up. And fast.” Bressler says.

          “Nice job boys looks like you’ve dropped us in the middle of a good old fashioned coo.” Pope says.

          “Shut up Pope, why now General? What were you waiting for? The perfect scapegoat; the 2nd Mass?” Tom says.

          “I’ve been waiting for Dr. Manchester to come to his senses and patiently I might add.” Bressler says.

          “I was acting in the best interest of our citizens. The people voted for civil rule, not for a military one.” Manchester says from his cage.

          “Don’t be so naïve Arthur, eventually the aliens will find us we have no choice but to go on the offensive now. You with us or not?” Bressler asks Tom.

          “Not this way. I’m sorry General but my vision of the new United States doesn’t begin with a military coo. I’ll agree that Arthur may have lost sight of some of the original goals but to put him in jail and declare martial law; your actions are misguided sir.” Tom says. In my opinion, I think we should just take the chance we can and go with it.

          “I would’ve assumed given its reputation that the 2nd Mass would be chomping at the bit of a chance to take it at the enemy. I guess I assumed wrong.” Bressler starts to walk away but adds one more thing before leaving. “Lock ‘em up, get them out of my sight!” He says. A soldier from behind me grabs my arm and pushes me towards the cell.

          Suddenly, everyone hears a siren going off. I look up to see the red light flashing around and making one loud ass noise.

          “That’s another security perimeter breach let’s move!” the Sergeant says. I look at Hal who’s beside me and everyone makes their way to the cafeteria. Once we get there, we see everyone screaming and moving around frantically.

          The soldiers run up ahead and make a clearing. Through the clearing, I see a group of Skitters hovering around in a circle. I stop running right next to Hal along with everyone else.

          “Prepare to fire!” Bressler gives the command. Tom runs to the front and says for the General to wait. One of the Skitters looks very familiar to me and I see that it’s Red Eye, the leader of the rebellion.

          “General wait those are the rebels, the one with the red eye I know him.” Tom says.

          “I said prepare to fire!” Bressler says again. Suddenly, just as I turn around to face Bressler, I hear someone from behind me yell stop. I turn around and see the one and only Ben Mason come out from behind Red Eye.

          “We’re not here to hurt anyone.” Ben says walking forward. Tom rushes forward to him and hugs him. Matt and Hal do the same but I’m just standing there frozen. From behind me I hear Allie tell me to go so I run up to Ben and the others. I jump up and just in time he catches me and hugs me, twirling me around.

          “Ben, oh my gosh you’re actually here!” I say smiling. He puts me back down on my feet and looks me in the eyes.

          “I told you I’d be back didn’t I?” He says smiling. I hug him one more time and Tom speaks up.

          “General tell your men to lower their weapons.” Tom tells Bressler. I stand beside Ben to wait for Bresslers next command. He doesn’t say anything at first so Tom steps in front of Ben. Slowly but surely more of the 2nd Mass comes forward and everyone links arms, standing and guarding the rebel Skitters. I grab Bens hand and we just stand there, waiting for Bressler to make his decision.

          “Sir?” Sergeant Clemens asks.

          “Hold your fire.” Bressler tells them. They all lower their weapons and Bressler walks up to Tom.

          “Alright Mason, let’s go back to my office and we’ll talk this through.” Bressler says before walking off. Tom, Ben, Weaver and Red Eye follow him to his office and I wait outside for them to come out. After a while, Red Eye and Ben walk out of the office.

          “Hey,” I say stopping him by grabbing his arm. He looks at Red Eye who nods and walks off.

          “Where are you guys going? Aren’t you going to stay?” I ask him.

          “I can’t stay I have to go back with the rebels but I’ll come back later I promise you.” Ben tells me. I give him a quick peck on the cheek before he can walk off.

          “It’s good to have you back Ben.” I tell him.

          “It’s good to be back.” He says smiling before walking off. For the rest of the day, I don’t really do anything except until Hal came up to me and asked me if I wanna go see Ben with him that night. A few hours later we walk to their camp site in search of Ben, with our weapons just in case.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING THIS IT MEANS A LOT TO ME!(:

48 comments/votes/reads/shares for part 37