Part 16

“This does not look good.” I say. We all hop out and make our way inside. We look around the room but no one is there. There is furniture flipped over, clothes torn to pieces, there's even a bike that must've been flown across the room on the ground. I hold up my flashlight and look up at the ceiling just in case.

          “Somebody ripped up our place.” Jeanne says. I walk up to a chair and pick up a bloody jacket on the arm.

          “Robby’s jacket.” Diego says. I put it back down and start to search again. Suddenly, we hear a whimpering coming from somewhere.    

          “Somebody help.” Someone calls out. We run to what looks like a closet and find a boy there.

          “Johnny, are you alright?” Diego asks the boy.

          “Chinchas.” Johnny says.

          “The Skitters.” I whisper.

          “They took everybody.” Johnny says.

          “Hey buddy how long ago was this?” Hal asks him.

          “I don’t know.” Johnny says. I look at Ben who has a bad look on his face.

          “They’re gonna be harnessed.” Ben says. We all drive back to camp as quickly as we can to tell Weaver. Once we get there, Jeanne, Ben, Hal, Diego, Allie, and I go in Weavers tent to let him know.

          “That factory right here, that’s where we’ve seen a lot of harnessed kids.” Diego says pointing at the map.

          “That’s the building we saw on the scouting unit yesterday. The building has power.” I say out loud.

          “And Mechs guarding it.” Ben says.

          “Maybe they’ve turned the factory into a harnessed facility.” Allie says.

          “That explains the security.” Dai says.

          “Okay Ben what do you remember about the place where you were harnessed?” Weaver asks Ben. We all look at him for his answer.

          “Um not much just fragments.” Ben says.

          “Anything you can remember will be helpful.” Tom says.

          “First they kept us in a holding room,” Ben says.

          “For how long?” Diego asks.

          “I don’t know.” Ben says. He’s starting to look a little uncomfortable.

          “What else?” Tom asks.       

          “They took us to a harnessing chamber.” Ben says.

          “What was the distance between the holding room and the harnessing chamber?” Weaver asks.

          “I’m sorry I don’t remember.” Ben says.

          “Alright look we’re wasting time. We know they’re in there let’s go.” Diego says.

          “Not so fast, we need a plan. Improvising gets people killed.” Weaver says.

          “Yeah well while you’re sitting around making plans they’re harnessing our friends.” Diego says.

          “I’m not gonna put peoples’ lives at risk so you can go out half-cocked.” Weaver says.

          “Fine stay here with your maps I’m going there.” Diego says.

          “I said no.” Weaver says. You can literally smell the tension that’s going on right now.

          “I don’t take orders from anyone especially from a man who couldn’t save his own family.” Diego says. Weaver reaches over and grabs him by the shirt. They start yelling and Jeanne breaks them up.

          “I told you your dad hasn’t changed.” Diego says before leaving the tent.

          “Jeannie I am sorry.” Weaver says.

          “If you were sorry you’d try to be different. You wouldn’t be the same angry control freak. This is exactly why mom kicked you out.” Jeanne says. Weaver tries to apologize to her but she’s already gone. We all just stand there for a moment until Weaver says we’re going after them.

          “Grab your weapons and gear up, we move out in five.” Weaver says walking out of the tent. Allie and I go to the weaponry tent and start grabbing more ammo.

          “You think we can save them?” She asks me.

          “I don’t know but we’re sure as hell gonna try.” I say. After getting our ammo, we walk over to the pickup and get in the back along with Ben, Dai, and Tector. Tom drives the truck forward a little but stops when we hear Hal calling out to Matt.

          “What’s wrong?” I ask standing up.

          “I can’t find Matt; he’s not in our tent he’s not in the mess tent I don’t know where he is.” Hal says.

          “He’s gone. Jeanne too, all the bikes are gone.” Weaver says walking towards the truck.

          “They went without us?” Tom says. Weaver nods and they get back in the pickup. It takes us a while but we finally make it to the factory. Ben, Hal, Dai, and I are on one side of the wall while everyone else is on the other. Tom looks through the binoculars towards the factory.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share! What are your thoughts on the story so far?(:

27 comments/votes/reads for Part 17