Part 20

I get out of the truck and stand across from Ben and Rick. Anne walks over to the truck to see what’s going on.

          “Anne, he needs your help. Please.” Ben says.

          “I don’t even have enough supplies for us right now why would I help him?” Anne says. She and Ben start to argue but Tom walks over.

          “Ben calm down alright.” I tell him.

          “Anne we’ve just got to keep it alive long enough to talk.” Tom tells Anne. She agrees, Tom gives everyone orders and walks off with Ben back to Weavers tent. I decide to help Anne with the Skitter and after that I go back to my own tent for the night.

          The next day, I go with Tom, Ben and everyone else to interview the Skitter. From the looks of it, Anne did a pretty good job patching him up because he’s on his six legs again.

          “Can it talk?” Tom asks as we walk in.

          “Yes I can.” Rick says.

          “We don’t have time for any shenanigans so we need answers and we need them now.” Weaver says.

          “Of course and you will get them but first I wish to address Professor Mason. Alone.” Rick says.

          “We’re not going anywhere.” Weaver says.

          “As you wish.” Rick says.

          “It’s okay captain.” Tom says. Captain Weaver looks back and forth between Tom and the skitter.

          “Everybody out.” Weaver says. We all leave the tent and once we get inside, I try to talk to Ben.

          “Ben, can I talk to you for a moment?” I ask him. He nods and we walk away from everyone else.

          “What’s going on? Tom said something about this Skitter rebellion?” I say.

          “Yes and the Skitter in there is their leader. He needs our help to defeat their overlords and if we don’t help them then we might all die.” Ben says.

          “How long have you known about this?” I ask him.

          “Since Jimmy died.” Ben tells me.

          “Why didn’t you tell me?” I ask him.

          “Because I was afraid that you might look at me like I’m a freak. It’s bad enough that everyone’s scared of me and if they found out that I’ve been helping Skitters, they might just throw me out of here.” He tells me.

          “You really thought that I would care? That I would call you a freak?” I ask him. He looks down at his feet then back at me.

          “Yes.” He says.

          “Well you’re wrong. I wouldn’t do that. Now let’s go wait for your dad to finish. I’m just glad that you’re okay.” I say giving him a smile. We walk back over to Weaver and we hear Boon start to say something.

          “This whole talk about rebel Skitters is crap like who would actually believe that. And now they’ve got the spiky kids in on it too. What if they turn us over to the aliens then we’re all dead.” Boon says.

          “Shut up Boon. No one cares about what you think right now. And leave Ben and Rick alone.” I say walking up to him. I’ve always had problems with starting fights with people at school because they made fun of others so this was kind of a reflex.

          “Oh yeah well who says that you’re any better than me princess? Just because you’re with the Masons doesn’t mean you’re better than anyone, especially me.” Boon shoots back.

          “That’s enough now soldier. I’d advise that unless you want your ass kicked by someone that you shut the hell up. Now I’m not sure about this rebellion thing yet but that doesn’t mean you can go around bashing on Ben and Rick.” Weaver says. Boon starts to say something else but Weaver gives him a glare and he shuts up.

          I turn around and walk away from them before I start yelling again. I begin to play with my necklace when I hear someone come up behind me.

          “Thanks for that.” Ben says coming up beside me.

          “No problem, you know I hate bullies.” I tell him.

          “Yeah I remember you getting suspended for defending people in school. God you were pissed and I knew to stay out of your way when you were too.” Ben says making me laugh.

          “Yeah those were the times.” I say looking at him. Suddenly, we hear explosions from afar and we all rush back in the tent. 

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!

35 reads/comments/votes for Part 21!