Part 17

“That’s Matt’s hat.” He says.

          “Maggie Dai and Tector you go in the back we’ll go in the front.” Everyone runs to the factory and Hal, Ben, Tom, Weaver and I go through the front. We start running up and down the halls, checking every room for the kids. I open a door and come face to face with a Skitter but before it can do anything, I shoot an arrow straight through its skull.

          “Nice shot.” Hal says to me. I just nod and we keep going. We keep going up the stairs until I hear a faint cry come from a room not too far away. Ben must’ve heard it too because he leads us all towards it. Suddenly we hear someone yell out.

          “Dad!” Someone says. We walk in the room and see a Skitter next to a kid on a table, about to be harnessed. The Skitter pushes the kids head down on the table and we all start shooting at it. The Skitter falls down, dead, and Tom rushes over to the boy and pulls the harness off him.

          “Matt?” I say. I rush over to him to try and get the restraints off. I can’t get them off so I step aside to let Hal do it for me. I look over at the giant tank thing that is making a bunch of noise.

          Ben starts walking towards it and once he reaches it, he puts his hand on the glass. When he sets his hand on it, something inside the tank comes closer to his hand and the spikes on his back started… glowing. They were glowing bright blue.

          “Ben.” I say to myself. The thing inside comes closer to him and goes right up against the glass. Ben steps back and shoots the tank. Water spills out and the parasites/harnesses come out with it. Everyone is soon shooting at the ground while I help them get the restraints off Matt. I get them off and he sits straight up and covers his ears.

          “Hey Matt are you okay?” I ask him. He nods and hugs me.

          “It’s okay, we’re going home now.” I tell him. We let go and I walk over to Ben who is standing there staring at the tank.

          “Hey you alright?” I ask him laying my hand on the small of his back. He nods and we begin to get Johnny out of the restraints. I hear Weaver scream and fall to the ground. Apparently he had gotten bit by one of the parasites.

          “Alright everyone let’s get out of here.” Tom tells everyone. Ben grabs up Johnny and we all get out of the factory and back to camp without being bothered.

          Once we get back to camp, I put Matt to bed because he asked me to and once he had fallen asleep, I went to go find Hal. I need to tell him about Bens spikes. Well I pretty much just need to tell someone and I always go to him about my Ben problems. I find him coming out of the med bus with Tom.

          “Hey Hal, can I talk to you for a moment?” I ask him. He nods and we walk away from the bus.

          “What’s up?” He asks me.

          “Well in the factory I saw something. When Ben was walking up to that tank thing and when he put his hand on it, I saw his spikes glow. Like they glowed a bright blue color and –“ I trail off saying. We stop and he looks straight at me.

          “I know.” He says.

          “You saw it too?” I ask him.

          “Yeah I was actually going to go talk to him right now about it.” He says. I let him go and say goodnight before walking back to the tent. Once I get to the tent, I see Matt and Tom asleep on Toms cot. I lie down on my own cot, pull the covers over my body and begin to fall asleep. Throughout the night, I wake up numerous times in a cold sweat or breathing heavily of nightmares.

          Finally after my third one, I start to cry. I pull my knees close to my chest and lay my head in between my knees. I guess Ben heard me because he walks over and wraps his arms around me.

          “Hey it’s okay, it’s just a nightmare.” He tells me.

          “B-but it felt s-so real.” I say between sobs. He lets me cry into his chest and after a while, I begin to fall asleep so we both lay down on the cot. He wraps his arms around me, linking our hands and for the rest of the night, if I woke up; I woke up in his arms.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!

30 votes/comments/reads for Part 18!