Part 28

“At last we have the chance to speak again. I’m looking forward to it Professor Mason.” Ben says beside me.

          “Ben?” Tom says. I look at his back and see that his spikes are glowing. I look at Tom and shake my head no, meaning that it isn’t Ben anymore.

          “I’m afraid he can’t hear you.” Ben says.

          “What do you want?” Tom yells at the Fish Head.

          “Peace.” Ben says.

          “I didn’t think your kind had a sense of humor. How does genocide equal peace?”  Tom says.

          “Tom if we came here to commit genocide every one of you would be dead. We have no interest in annihilating your people. Think of it as a correction.” Ben says.

          “A correction?” Tom says.

          “Yes your planet like so many we’ve been to is to put it bluntly, spiraling out of control. You fight to the death while you’re dwindling resources. Your population continues to—“ Ben says but is cut off.

          “We don’t need your help solving our problems thank you.” Tom says.

          “Of course, once our task here has been completed, we will move on from your—“ Ben starts to say.

          “What task? Why are you here?” Tom asks the question that has been on everyones mind for the past year.

          “That is none of your concern. But disrupting our operations and continuing to enable will only result in more pain and suffering.” Ben says looking intensively at Tom.

          “Except we aren’t alone anymore in resisting your occupation are we?” Tom says.

          “Are you referring to the so called rebellion?” Ben asks.

          “I am and they scare the hell out of you don’t they?” Tom says.

          “We will defeat them.” Ben says almost nervously.

         “Perhaps but you haven’t even managed to defeat us yet. And we will continue to bleed you every single day that you’re here.” Tom says.

          “You don’t have the strength. The finanical will prevail against us. You are weak, crippled by sentiment casing point.” Ben says. Suddenly, he falls down on the ground and starts spazzing out. His nose begins to bleed and he is having a hard time breathing. Tom and I kneel down beside him.

          “Stop it!” Tom yells at the Fish Head. Ben continues moving and trying to catch his breath.

          “Please!” I yell at it. Ben stops moving and looks at Tom and begins to speak again.

          “Sentiment, weakness, you are in over your head Tom Mason. Now release me before it’s too late.” Ben says. Tom looks at the Fish Head and rises.

          “Okay, alright, I understand now.” Tom says. He pulls out his gun and shoots the Fish Head in the neck. Ben jumps and tries to sit up. I lift up his head with my hand and Tom helps.

          “Ben are you okay?” I ask him. He nods and Tom and I help him stand up. Tom tells one of the soldiers outside to get Anne and Tom leaves to go find Weaver.

          I help Ben get to the seat that is outside of the room in front of the window so he can rest for a few minutes. I sit there in the desk beside Ben who’s in the chair and watch Anne patch up the Fish Head.

          “Can I ask you something Ben?” I say looking at him. He nods.

          “What’s it like when the Skitters or Fish Heads take over you and talk through you?” I ask.

          “Umm well it’s a pretty strange feeling. Like you’re not in control of your own body or mind anymore.” He tells me. I nod and we both stand up to wait for Hal to bring Karen. We see them stop right before us and talk before Hal turns her around and she walks up to Ben.

          “Ben, I’m glad you’re okay. I know this has been quite an ordeal for you but it had to happen. I hope you can understand that—“ Karen begins to say but she stops talking once she hears the Fish Head.

          “Something’s happened to him. What have you done?” Karen says before running in the room. Tom, Hal, Ben and I walk in behind her.

          “Dr. Glass did what she could to stop the bleeding. I don’t know much about his physiology but I don’t think he’s gonna last much longer.” Tom says. Karen stands up and charges at Tom but Ben grabs her. 

          “You ready to listen? Good cause you can still save him.” Tom says to her.

          “How?” Karen says scowling at him.

          “See this?” Hal says pointing at the bomb on the wall, “It’s plastic explosive. There’s more than enough to take out the entire floor. It’s connected to a detonator that is with two of our guys. One of them is Pope and I believe you remember him. He’ll have no problem blowing you and your master straight to hell.” Hal says.

          “If he does our airstrike will kill you all.” Karen says.

          “And your overlord dies with us and so do you. We don’t have to go down that road, let the 2nd Mass evacuate and once we’re clear you’re free to leave. And if you hurry, you might even be able to save his life.” Tom says. Karen makes her decision and Ben lets her go. Everyone begins to leave the room but Karen walks up to me before I can go.

          “Sorry for the little inconvenience earlier Kali. I really didn’t want to hurt you.” Karen says walking up to me.

          “Oh yeah? Well next time you try to take my boyfriend away, I will personally shoot one of these arrows through your pretty little head.” I say stepping closer to her. “How’s that for inconvenient bitch?” I whisper the last part and walk out of the room. I close the door behind me and see Ben waiting for me.

          “Boyfriend huh?” He says grinning. I just laugh and we walk back to our room.

          “Well I had to get my point across somehow didn’t I?” I say. After everyone is done getting packed up, we all head out for Charleston. Ben, Matt and I ride the med bus with Lourdes and Anne on the way there and I fall asleep on Bens shoulder that night.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!

35 comments/votes/reads for Part 29! It's gonna be a good one :)