Part 12

“Oh my god what happened?” I ask. I run to get Weaver while they take him to Anne. Weaver and I rush to the med bus and just as they put Jimmy on the stretcher.

          “Let’s get out of here and give them some room to work.” Weaver says to us.

          “No I’m not leaving him.” Ben says.

          “Hey, we need to talk son.” Weaver says getting Bens attention. Hal, Tom, Weaver, Ben and I all walk out of the bus.

          “What in the hell were you two doing out there Ben?” Weaver says to Ben. He doesn’t say anything at first but when he does, he should’ve kept his mouth closed.

          “Hunting Skitters.” He says. We all look at him in disbelief.

          “Hunting? Is that what you were doing when you found dad last night?” Hal says.

          “What were you and Jimmy doing hunting Skitters Ben?” Tom asks.

          “They put spikes on my back, they killed mom they killed everyone. Do I need a reason?” Ben says.

          “Like we don’t see enough combat you have to go looking for it?” Weaver says.

          “Until every last one of those things is dead, yes.” Ben says. I knew how much he hated the Skitters and I knew he wanted to kill them all but I didn’t know that he would put this and Jimmy’s life at risk just to do so.

          “Hal, Kali take Ben back to the tent and get him cleaned up.” Tom tells us.

          “Nah I’m going back to the medical bus.” Ben says.

          “You can’t walk around looking like that. Go change first.” Tom tells him. The three of us walk back to the tent and once we get inside, Hal immediately starts yelling.

          “What the hell were you thinking Ben? Hunting Skitters? Really? Like you haven’t don’t enough damage already—“ Hal starts to yell. Ben just stands there and I stop Hal.

          “Hal go wait outside.” I tell him. He looks back and forth between Ben and I and walks outside. Ben is still standing there when I turn towards him.

          “Ben, you need to tell me exactly what happened out there.” I tell him. He comes out of his trance and looks at me.

          “We-we were looking around, hunting Skitters and we saw three of them so Jimmy used some of the Berserkers ammo and killed two. I tried to go after the other but it knocked me down and threw Jimmy into a tree. It-it ran away and I carried Jimmy all the way back.” He says finishing off. I cross my arms and begin to think.

          “Why Ben? Why would you put yours and Jimmy’s life at risk like that?” I ask calmly.

          “Seriously? I could think of a million reasons right now why. Couldn’t you?” He says looking at me.

          “Look I don’t want to fight so just, change and I’ll get you a towel.” I tell him. He nods and I walk out to get the towel. When I come back I see Ben take out a shirt of his from his back pack. His back is facing me and he pulls his shirt off over his head.

          On his back, I can see that the spikes and the rough skin are getting worse. A part of his skin looks melted and the rest looks like twisted metal. It looked really freaky but I let it go.     

          “Here’s the towel. I’ll wait outside for you.” I tell him. He turns around and takes the towel from me.

          “Thanks.” He tells me. I nod and a few minutes later, we’re walking to the food tent. Ben sits at one table while I’m sitting next to Allie who is right across from Hal. I begin to play with my heart shaped necklace that my mother gave me when I hear Ben say something.

          “Why are you staring at me like that?” He says looking at Hal.

          “I’m not staring.” Hal says.

          “Yeah you are. You got something to say?” Ben says.

          “Yeah I do.” Hal says.

          “Easy now boys.” Weaver says from beside Hal. Hal gets up to get some coffee and Allie follows him. I look at Ben who is just sitting there looking lost. I go and sit across from him but he doesn’t move.

          “Don’t beat yourself up too much.” I tell him while sitting down. He ignores me and taps his fingers on the table. I grab his hand and stop his fingers. He finally looks up at me.

          “It’s okay; he’s just mad and looking for someone to take it out on.” I tell him. He nods and Tom walks in the tent.

          “Any news?” He asks Hal.

          “He’s still in surgery.” Hal tells him.

          “We ran into a Skitter patrol, but they were heading the other direction, I think we’re safe.” Tom says walking over to Weaver.

          “For how long?” Weaver asks.

          “I don’t know. Hey,” Tom walks over to Ben and takes out his compass. I let go of his hand so he can take it. “The compass. Give it to Jimmy when he wakes up.” Tom says. Ben rests his head on his hand and goes back into his own little world.

          “How is he?” Weaver says to Anne who walks up to us.

          “I’ve done everything I can. It’s up to Jimmy now.” Anne says.

          “Jimmy’s a fighter, always has been.” Weaver says. I look back at Ben but he runs off before anyone can say anything. I stand up and cross my arms.

          “Hal go after him, make sure he’s okay.” Tom tells Hal. Hal walks off and everyone separates. I follow Anne to the medical bus so I can sit with Jimmy.

          “I’ve gotta do something so if anything goes wrong come and get me.” Anne says leaving. I nod and pull up a chair beside his bed. He’s just lying there, so pale and barely moving.

          “Dammit Jimmy, I told you to be careful.” I say taking Jimmy’s hand in mine. About fifteen minutes later, I hear someone walk on the bus and pull up a chair across from me. I look up and Ben’s sitting there, messing with the compass in his hands.

_____________________________________________

Please commet, vote, and share!

25 reads and maybe a vote or two for Part 13? :)