Part 21

“Get away from there Tom, the bastard has led them directly to us.” Weaver says.

          “No.” Ben yells. He runs to the Skitter and I follow him. Rick, Ben, Tom and I all try to protect the Skitter.

          “Wait Captain please.” I say.

          “Lyle, Dai, get those kids away from the cage.” Weaver says.

          “Dan there’s something you need to hear.” Tom says.

          “You stand down Tom. I’m giving you an order.” Weaver says. I look back and forth between Weaver and Tom, trying to choose who’s making more sense.

          “No.” Tom says.                 

          “You stand down now—“ Weaver says. The Skitter makes a noise and opens the door. He runs and jumps on the wall trying to escape while Boon the idiot is shooting at him. Rick runs to stop him but Boon shoots him.

          “Rick!” Ben yells. Ben and I rush forward to Rick along with everyone else. I kneel down beside him and Ben does the same across from me. Even though he scares the hell out of me, Rick was pretty nice at times.

          “Ben, Ben it’s okay. We can win this with one person it doesn’t matter we’ll win it, I know it. Just talk to your father you have a father Ben. Ben make him believe, make them believe.” Those were the last words from Rick before he was swept away from us.

          “Ben,” Tom says walking towards him. I close Ricks eyes and step back for a moment.

          “He needs my help.” Ben says. He gets up and starts to run away but Tom catches him and holds him. Weaver comes to get everyone and we drive to the hospital that Hal and Allie found. Once we get there, I decide to help Lourdes and Anne take Allie in one of the rooms so they can fix her up. Hal told me that she was a little too close to an explosion and it caused this to happen. She wakes up after they patch her up a bit.

          “Hey how are you doing?” I ask her.

          “I feel like hell.” She says. I chuckle and I hear Hal walk in the room.

          “Well I’ll let you two talk.” I tell her. I smile and get up and walk out of the room. I begin to search for Ben and I finally find him on the roof, sitting at the edge and looking away. I walk over to him and stop at the edge.

          “Hi.” I say. He looks up at me and smiles.

          “Hi.” He says. I smile back and look down below us at the ground. I have this little phobia of heights so I quickly look away.

          “Still afraid of heights?” He asks me. He takes my hand and helps me sit down beside him.

          “Yeah. You’d think I would be over my fears by now but nope.” I say. He laughs and we look up at the sky.

          “Look, I’m sorry about Rick.” I tell him.

          “It’s alright. I know he used to freak you out and all that but he was alright.” Ben says.

          “What are you going to do now?” I ask him.

          “I’m not sure.” He says looking down at his hands. I nod and lay my hand on my chest over my heart. You see, I have this condition where my heart speeds up at random times and it’s hard for me to breathe. I try to take a deep breath.

          “You alright?” Ben asks looking at me.

          “Uhh yeah I’m fine. Just uh, my heart has been acting weird lately but it’s alright really.” I tell him. I take my hand in his and give him a reassuring smile.

          “Good.” He says. I lay my head down on his shoulder and for a while we just sit there, looking up at the stars. I start to get tired and yawn so I decide to go to sleep.

          “Well I’m exhausted so I’m gonna head in for tonight. I’ll see you tomorrow okay?” I say yawning again.

          “Okay, goodnight Kali.” He says kissing me.

          “Goodnight.” I smile and walk away. On my way back to our room, I pass Matt who is running the opposite way. I finally reach our room and choose a bed. Thank god we don’t have those cots anymore, they really hurt my back. I fall asleep quickly and soundlessly.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!

35 comments/votes/reads for part 22!