Part 26

On our way there, I feel the ground shake and we hear a boom come from beneath us. We keep walking until we run into Hal on the way there.

          “Hal!” Ben yells out to him.

          “Yeah?” Hal says walking towards us.

          “I’m-I screwed up, you never should’ve come after me.” Ben says.

          “The hell you talking about you’re my brother.” Hal says.

          “I should’ve left weeks ago I knew it and now everyone’s in danger because of me.” Ben says. What does he mean he should’ve left weeks ago? Is that what Matt was talking about when he said he would miss Ben?

          “It’s not your responsibility that was Karen. Alright she played us both.” Hal says.

          “They tried to kill the leader of the rebellion they’re bound to come after sooner or later I knew that.” Ben says quickly.

          “Hey, cut yourself some slack, we’re gonna get through this.” Hal says as Tom walks up. Hal runs off somewhere and Tom comes up to us.

          “Kali what are you doing out of bed?” He asks me.

          “I’m fine now don’t worry.” I tell him.

          “Alright well we’re going to try and leave the hospital soon.” Tom says.

          “If we do I’m gonna have to leave the 2nd Mass.” Ben says. Why does he keep saying that he’s leaving? Why would he leave? Ben and Tom start to argue.

          “The overlord?” Tom asks.

          “He was near me in the woods, he was trying to warm his way through the spikes of my back to get inside my head.” Ben says.

          “To find out what you know. Did he get anything?” Tom says.

          “No but I don’t know how much longer I would’ve been able to hold him out. But dad, he’s scared this rebellion terrifies him.” Ben says.

          “Keep your distance from him.” Tom says before walking off. Ben turns to me but I just stare at him.

          “You’re leaving?” I say.

          “Yes I have to for the sake of the 2nd Mass.” Ben tries to explain but I just shake my head, refusing to listen. I turn around to walk away but he grabs me by the shoulders and turns me to face him. I try my best not to look at him because if I do, I’m going to start crying.

          “Kali if I don’t leave then I’m putting everyone in danger especially you. And I don’t want to cause you anymore pain.” He says looking at me. I begin to cry and he pulls me in for a hug. He rubs the back of my head with his hand trying to calm me down.

          “I promise I’ll come back for you. I’m not leaving this very moment. Please just-just stop crying.” He says to me. After letting a few tears roll down my face, I stop and he lets me go. I rub my eyes, still not wanting to look at him, and we walk through the hallway only to be stopped again.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!

35 comments/votes/reads for part 27!!