Part 15

“Fifteen to one?” A boy says. He says something else in Spanish that I didn’t quite understand. Ben and I position our weapons to where they’re pointing straight at his head.

          “I’d back off if I were you.” Hal says.

          “Yeah?” The boy says. Ben cocks his gun and the kids look up at us.

          “Yeah I would.” I say loud enough for them to hear.

          “Now if they don’t stand down in five seconds, you die.” Hal says. He starts to count down and once he gets to four, they all drop their weapons.

          “Put your guns down. All of you put your guns on the ground.” Hal says. Ben and I race down stairs to the room and stand behind Hal. We lower our weapons. Hal walks up to the boy named Diego and gets straight up in his face.

          “Diego, that’s your name? Well I’m Hal and that’s my brother Ben and our friend Kali.” Hal says. Ben does an awkward wave and I just stare at them giving a halfway grin. 

          “Just take the bikes and go.” The girl behind Diego says. Hal comes back to where Ben and I are and grabs his weapon from Ben. We look around the room and see it filled with kids.

          “It’s just you guys here? No adults?” Hal says.

          “We don’t need them.” Someone says.

          “Adults get us killed.” Says another boy.

          “We look out for each other.” The girl behind Diego says. Hal walks back up to Diego and starts talking.

          “Our people are camped not that far from here. We might be able to spare some extra bike parts. The very least food and water. You all look like you could use a good meal no offense.” Hal says. Diego stops and thinks for a moment.

          “Hilary, Shaun, Julian, and Robin come with us to check it out. The rest of you, hold down the fort. We’ll be back as soon as possible.” Diego says. He walks up to Hal and thanks him.

          The nine of us walk outside to the bikes and I get on mine with Ben right behind me. It takes us a good 20 minutes to make it back to camp and once we do, a group of people surround us. Just as I get off the bike, I see the girl that was with Diego run up to Captain Weaver.

          “Jeanne?” Weaver says.

          “Dad.” The girl Jeanne says. They hug each other and everyone is taken aback from their reunion. I look at Ben but he just shrugs. After everyone puts their bikes and four-wheeler’s up, I go back to the tent to try and get some sleep.

          I walk in and see Matt sitting on his bed looking angry. I lay my bow and arrows on the ground and go to sit next to him.

          “Hey Matty, what’s wrong?” I ask him.

          “Dad embarrassed me just because I told him I helped Tector and Boon kill two Skitters.” Matt says.

          “Well that doesn’t sound too bad. How’d you help them?” I ask him.

          “I led them to an alley and they shot them in the head. The blood and guts inside their heads went all over me and it was like boom-boom.” Matt says showing me with his hands and smiling.

          “That sounds awesome. Don’t be upset at your dad for that he just doesn’t want you to get hurt.” I tell him. He doesn’t say anything so I tell him to go to sleep. After I make sure he’s asleep, I decide to do the same.

          The next day, Allie and I wake up to play soccer with some other little kids and the kids from Diego’s group. Allie and I are mid-field and the ball goes out of bounds so she goes to get it. She “accidently/on purpose” throws the ball right at Hals head. I start laughing as Allie says my bad.

          “I’m gonna get you back.” Hal says smiling. Allie and I start cracking up and he looks at me. “Shut up Mayflower.” He says to me. I stick my tongue out and begin to play again.

          “I saw that Allie, nice shot by the way.” I tell her. She laughs and Diego walks over to our soccer game telling his people it’s time to go. Allie and I take the kids back to where they were before and grab our things. We go to the truck and help pack up some food and the spare parts.

          After everything is loaded, we head off to their camp. Ben helps me up in the back of the truck. He grabs my hand and lifts me up.

          “Dang Ben you’ve gotten stronger.” I tell him.

          “I guess so.” He says. Two other kids get in the back of the pickup and we drive off. It takes a little longer to get to their camp this time because of truck so I try to make the best of it and try to talk to Ben.

          “How are you doing?” I ask him.

          “I’m fine.” He says looking down at his lap.

          “You sure?” I say looking at him.

          “Yeah, I’m sure.” Ben gives me one of his half smiles and squeezes my hand. After about thirty more minutes, we make it to their camp and we see a bunch of trucks on fire.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!!

25 comments/votes/reads for Part 16!