Stop Lying (Rogers/Wilson x reader)

"You're gonna wear that?" Sam smiled at Steve, straightening his own tie. "I thought you were trying to impress this girl."

"What's wrong with it?" Steve asked with a small pout, looking down at his dark pants and crisp, light blue button down shirt. "Natasha said it was fine."

"Sure, it's 'fine'," he smirked, "but it's not nearly as impressive as this," he said, waving his hand over his suit. "If you think you've got a shot at winning (Y/N) over, you need to bring the effort, my friend."

Steve sighed and shook his head with a quiet laugh, grabbing the small bouquet of flowers that he had bought for you and headed towards the door. "It's not all about appearances, Sam. I don't have to look flashy on the outside when I know I have what's important on the inside. Luckily I've got a little of both."

"You really are into that old-fashioned stuff aren't you? A woman likes to be on the arm of a man with style and class. She wants to look at him and think, 'damn, I've got the hottest man in the room'. And that's me, baby. Just you watch."

"I'm not giving you one second of my attention, Wilson. A woman also likes to feel like she's the only one in the room, having your full attention and appreciation. She likes to know that you're there for her."

Sam took a final look in the mirror, nodding in approval to himself and joining Steve at the door. "Alright, Rogers, you better be ready. I'm bringing the 'A' game. She's gonna pick me."

"May the best man win, Sam. And by the best, I mean me."

~~~

"Wait, we're not riding together?" Sam asked in surprise, watching Steve swing his leg over his motorcycle just before the engine roared to life. "You're gonna just leave me here?"

"You're a big boy, Sam," he smiled back, making no motions to wait, "get a cab." Even over the loud rumble of the engine, Sam was certain he heard the Captain laughing as he pulled out of the garage, getting a sizeable head start on their date with you.

Sam wasn't about to let Steve get the first win, frantically taking the stairs two and three at a time to get back to the mission room where his wings were stored. Once there he looked at his suit, not wanting to ruin his look by wearing his pack, especially after making such a big deal to Steve about how good he looked. "Alright, nice and easy," he mumbled, slowly slipping the gear over his coat, smoothing the material out to keep it sharp. "This how you wanna play, Cap? Okay...okay, let's play." He hurried to the hangar bay and jumped into the sky, barely getting the wings spread before his feet had left the floor.

~~~

Even with Sam chasing him in the sky, Steve arrived at the restaurant first where you had agreed to meet the two of them. They argued so much about who was going to pick you up that you finally just told them that you would find your own way there. The two men had bothered you endlessly about getting this date, with the competition between them becoming completely annoying. Once they had finally worn you down, you told them that if they wanted your attention, they would have to fight for it, and they eagerly agreed.

"(Y/N)," Steve greeted you and held out his hand, taking yours and resting it on his arm as he led you to the table. "You look wonderful. Amazing, actually."

"Thanks, Steve, so do you." You startled slightly when your other hand was taken and Sam joined you, seemingly from out of nowhere.

"(Y/N), I've never seen anything as beautiful as you in my entire life. You're breathtaking," he smiled, but when you turned away he immediately looked over you at Steve, silently mouthing a string of angry profanities with a scorned expression.

It had begun.

~~~

"Yeah, war really changes who you are in a lot of ways, but I think that who you are as a person doesn't change with our experiences. Things were different back then, though. War seemed simpler, if that makes any sense," Steve sighed, taking another bite from his plate.

Sam nodded in agreement, not wanting to diminish Steve's story out of respect and with his own understanding of war, but he also wasn't about to lose any points over it. "How old did you say you are now, Cap? You're like, what, a hundred?"

"I'm ninety-seven," he growled through clenched teeth. "But only by technicality. Physically I'm in perfect health and condition. Better than perfect," he said with a smile to you. "You saw that this morning when I threw you around the gym, remember?" Steve wiped his mouth with his napkin and set it on the table next to him with a small air of frustration. "What was that you said again? Oh, right! 'Cap, go easy on me. I do what you do, only slower, remember?'" he laughed with a small pout.

"You got it all wrong, man. I was looking out for you. You're not as spry as you think you are. At your age, you could throw out a hip." Sam tuned to you with a sparkle in his eye and a smile curling the edges of his lips, "now me, on the other hand? I'm as flexible as ever."

~~~

After an hour of smiling, laughing, and generally just putting up with the bickering of two overgrown little boys, you excused yourself to the restroom for just a few minutes of peace away from them. You should've known better than to have this idea of competition, and it was pretty much all your fault at this point. You could only imagine the conversation that was happening while you were away, but your thoughts were interrupted by the sound of messages on your phone.

Who's winning?

Neither. Save me.

Say please.

Please.

Is it really that bad?

You have no idea. OMG I can hear them arguing from here. Gotta go.

"Stop lying!"

"I'm not! You stop lying! That totally didn't happen and you know it!"

You had barely made it through the door of the restroom when you heard their voices carry across the entire restaurant, the other patrons now silenced and watching the two Avengers make a ridiculous scene. They were both standing now, poking each other in the chest as they spat words at each other and knocked glasses over on the table.

"That's enough!"

Steve and Sam silenced immediately and turned towards you, their faces turning red in embarrassment and their eyes avoiding you completely. They looked as guilty as two little boys caught by their mother doing something wrong. Steve crossed his arms and tipped his head down, with Sam pushing his hands into his pockets and shuffling his feet slightly as he watched them move.

"Sorry, (Y/N)."

"Sorry," they both said simultaneously.

"Okay," you sighed, stepping between them, "as much fun as this has been, listening to the two of you try to outdo each other all night, I think it's time to wrap this up. Sam, yes, you look very sharp, and you are definitely the hottest man in the room. Steve, I've never met anyone who has been as kind and considerate as you. Ever. But if we've learned anything here tonight, it's that I don't think that I can choose either of you." The two men looked at you with disappointment, but they didn't argue, knowing that they had behaved less than desirably and didn't blame you at all.

"Can I bring you home?" Steve asked quietly. "Sam flew in so he's of no help."

"What the hell, Steve? The date's over. Now you're just being a jerk."

"Actually," you interrupted, holding your hands towards each of them, "I've got a ride, thanks." As if on cue, your phone sounded again. You pulled it from your purse and smiled at the screen, giving the two men a quick goodbye before heading towards the building's stairwell.

Roof.

"Where's she going?"

Steve watched for a second, searching his mind for an answer until his eyes widened in realization. "Oh, you've got to be kidding me," he huffed, hurrying out to the sidewalk and looking up to the sky expectantly. A few seconds later his suspicions were confirmed as he watched Tony carrying you above, pausing mid-flight to wave down to them before shooting away in a flash. "Come on! I know we're both better than that guy!"