I'm Not Yours to Save (Rogers x reader)

I listened to this while I wrote: When I Fall

WARNING: Angst, depression, suicide attempt

I look straight in the window, try not to look below

Pretend I'm not up here, try counting sheep

But the sheep seem to shower off this office tower

Nine-point-eight straight down I can't stop my knees

'So many people on the streets for this late at night', you thought to yourself, peering over the side of the Avengers tower, 'what if I hit one? Timing this is gonna be harder than I thought...'

~~~

"Hey, Tony, have you seen (Y/N)?"

"Yeah, she said that she was heading to bed for the night. Why? Did she bail out on a hot date or something?"

"Sort of," Steve sighed, looking around the lounge area aimlessly. His eyes were travelling over the room, but his focus was in his mind, running recent conversations with you through it in case he had forgotten a change in plans. When he came up empty, he turned to his teammate to help. "Did she say anything else?"

"Listen, as badly as I want nothing to do with what you and my kid sister do in your free time, I'd love to help you out here, Cap. Sorry, I've got nothing."

"Hmm," he muttered, biting his lower lip as his thoughts continued to race, "that's weird. Today's Friday, right?"

Tony smirked with the slightest curl at the corner of his mouth, a quiet chuckle escaping his throat as he set his tablet and drink down on the bar top. It was no secret to anyone in the tower, much less anyone within earshot of the tower, that he wasn't a fan of the relationship that you and Steve were having, but if he had to find the silver lining, at least he was being given great material to give him a hard time. "Yes, today is Friday," he nodded, "but I'm starting to wonder if (Y/N) is really your girlfriend, or if she's just a cover for your babysitter. You know, once the memory starts to slip, it's all downhill from there, Cap. You're gonna get fitted for dentures before you know it. Arthritis, hearing aids, incontinence...adult diapers..."

But Steve didn't hear a word that Tony had said; thoughts and recent memories were flashing through his mind at a dizzying rate, so fast that even he had trouble tracking them. For the last few weeks, he had a strange feeling that something was going on with you, but he couldn't ever place what it was, and you quickly shot it down with a reassuring smile to downplay his concern. Everyone saw you as your usual helpful and friendly self with them, but he couldn't shake the sensation of missing something; now it was all he could think about. "Has she seemed strange to you at all lately? Have you noticed anything...off?"

"Whatcha getting at, Rogers?" he asked, turning to him fully with an expression that was quickly overtaken by concern when Steve completely dodged his joking, realizing that he had never before seen him so distracted. "Let's have it."

"I don't know," Steve grumbled, taking a heavily landed seat in one of the chairs next to the bar, "I don't want to jump to any conclusions here, but...I think she's hiding something from us. I haven't been able to get this feeling out of my gut for weeks now, but she still runs around here helping everyone like she always does, smiling through any problem, like it's nothing. She's almost too upbeat...you know what I mean?"