Ouch, Baby (Barnes x reader)

Buck uses a word that I really don't like, but he was mad so I'll forgive him...

"You're not gonna get me sick, are you?" Bucky groaned with a look of disgust crossing his face as he watched you all but crawl across the living room at the compound and onto the couch. "Because we have a mission to prep for and, honestly, I don't want to be anywhere near you right now."

"You're such a compassionate jerk."

He shrugged and sat on a chair far enough away for him to feel safe. "I do what I do. But seriously, are you gonna be okay?"

"I'll be...fine..." you faded away, tipping your head forward with a violent sneeze, followed by a relentless coughing fit. "Once this kills me, I'm sure I'll feel great."

~~~

Despite the burning and scratching in your throat that had nearly robbed you of your voice, the pain in your ear, and the incessant congestion that made your breathing sound like a snoring grizzly bear, Steve and Bucky insisted that you attend the mission briefing to plan for departure later in the day. They knew that you weren't the type to sit any mission out unless you were literally on your deathbed, so for them to hear you request a pass on the job was basically the same thing.

"Okay, I'm completely worried now," Steve said anxiously, standing as you entered the conference room and gently placing the back of his hand on your forehead. "You're so hot, (Y/N)."

"Why, thank you," you tried to smile coyly but failed, only looking more pitiful when another round of coughing began.

"Sit down, right now. Maybe try not to cough on me."

"I think I might actually die, Steve. I'm ready," you sighed, dropping heavily into the chair he had held out for you. Just before you closed your eyes and leaned back into the seat, you saw the Captain nod slightly towards you, directing Bucky to rest the cool metal of his hand on your cheek to try to lower your temperature. You jumped at the surprise sensation and turned around to face him, though your tone was harsh and bitter, and not what you meant it to be at all. "Can you please not touch me with that thing?"

"That thing?" he snapped back almost immediately. "That thing happens to be my arm. Just because you feel like whining about your inconvenient cold, it doesn't mean that you have to be such a raging bitch."

"Woah, guys," Steve stepped forward with his hands up and trying to interject, but he was shot down when you and Bucky both stood to continue.

"I'm sorry, what did you just call me?"

"Raging. Bitch."

Your hand reflexively shot up and slapped him with a resounding hit across his cheek, though it barely moved him or caused a visible reaction other than to ignite the angry fire in his eyes. You held his gaze for a moment, and you felt the shift; he was about to take a step forward to retaliate but you were quickly interrupted.

"Okay, that's enough!" Steve pushed himself between you, facing you to take your hands in his so that he might not be your next target. "Bucky, sit down and wait until I get back. (Y/N), you come with me." He grabbed your arm and all but dragged you across the room and to the elevator bays, pushing you in and hitting the button for your floor hard enough to crack the casing over the number. "I don't know what the hell that was, but you went from zero to a hundred in a flash. I'm not putting up with that kind of crap from you two, you understand? Not here."

"Yes, Captain." Your voice was soft and full of remorse, let alone the scratchiness that had only worsened with the tears that were brewing and soon to break loose. "I'm sorry, I don't know what that was. I think I'm just exhausted, but I was way out of line. Twice," you whispered, your voice finally began to crack and waver. Your emotions were always heightened anytime that you were sick, but this time it felt beyond anything you had ever experienced when Bucky had come at you with such venom.