The Sass is Real (Barton x reader)

Clint had been desperate to find his soul mate for years. The words that they were supposed to say, the words that were written on him to identify them as his soul mate, were so colorful and sarcastic, that he just had to find this person out of curiosity as much as anything else. He thought he came close a few times, but those relationships didn't last and obviously weren't the one. When you joined the Avengers, he fell hard and fast in love with you, and when he knew that you would likely never speak the words he was waiting for, he decided to stop searching. He was beyond happy with you, and believed that this whole soul mate thing wasn't as important as he once thought.

The words printed on your arm had become nothing more than an eyesore to you, never buying into the whole soul mate idea anyway, and finding that you were perfectly happy on your own. Until you met Clint. You paid close attention to everything he said when you first met, waiting to hear if he would say them, but once you had both decided that you were going to be together no matter what, you readily ignored them once again.

When you began dating Clint, it didn't take long to notice that he always had his arms covered. He told you that it was because of the words permanently imprinted in his skin, but he would never let you read them, believing that they didn't matter now and they weren't exactly words that he wanted seen. It quickly became known to you that no one on the team had seen them; not even Natasha.

"Clint, you realize that your outfit has only one sleeve, right?"

"What?!" he smiled in mock surprise, spinning himself around with his arms in the air. "Where the hell is my other sleeve? We have a sleeve thief! Call Steve! Wait," he paused with a gasp, "what if Steve is the sleeve thief?"

"Shut up."

"That's really hard to say, you know. Steve the sleeve thief."

"I'm sorry I brought it up," you groaned quietly, grabbing the last of your gear from the back of the van the two of you had commandeered. "Okay, so once you torch that hill over there, I figure we have about a minute or so to get Wanda out before Vision stops us. Are you sure she'll come along?"

"No, but I've been pretty convincing with her before," he smiled, slinging his quiver over his back and grabbing his bow. He jumped from the side door of the van and pulled an arrow, drawing back with a quick glance to you. "Besides, I guarantee she'll take Cap's side any day of the week. Okay, ready to run?"

You took a small step behind him and pressed a quick kiss to his cheek, glancing over his shoulder at his aim, "don't miss."

"Why do you hurt me like that? It's just mean." He turned his head to give you a wink just as his fingers released the arrow; when the small hill in the distance burst into flames, you broke into a sprint towards the compound. "Stay by the door," he called to you, "if I need to take on Vision, get Wanda to the van."

"You realize that she can stop him, right? You're just a distraction."

"You're so vicious today, (Y/N)," he said, shaking his head even though he wore a satisfied smirk curling at his lips. "I think I like it." Clint hurried inside while you kept watch, but it was taking longer than either of you had planned. In the distance, you could see Vision approaching and began to worry that the plan had failed; you put your hand on the door to help, but you were stopped by a searing pain in your arm.

"What the hell is that," you mumbled, pulling your sleeve up to see your soul mate quote looking red and stinging with pain. It didn't make sense though, when there wasn't anyone next to you for you to have heard them. When the door flew open and Clint emerged with Wanda, you put it out of your mind and didn't give it another thought. There was too much to do.