Just a Little Further (Stark x reader)

When Tony had surprised you with a trip to Europe as a far too extravagant birthday gift, you thought that maybe he was able to take a long weekend or maybe even a week away from Stark Industries and from the team to do it; you had no idea that a month later, you'd still be days away from getting back home.  You had made your way through the usual tourist locations in London and Paris, spent a few days in both Florence and Rome, and enjoyed the longest stop in Monaco, where Tony spontaneously decided to buy a vacation home simply because he 'didn't have one there yet'.

When you had left on this spontaneous vacation, you certainly had no idea that one of the stops on your tour would be Bucharest.  You definitely didn't think that it would lead you to be standing in the center of Bucky's old safe house there, it's walls still riddled with bullet holes and nearly every window broken out.  Clearly, the caretaker for the building didn't seem to actually care about it, which made you feel sad at the idea that your friend once called this home.

"Okay, let's make this quick because it wasn't in my plans," Tony whispered, though no one was anywhere near you to hear.  "Feel free to grab anything that looks like he might want it, but we're here for the book."

"Right.  Steve said that he left it on the kitchen table before the fight broke out, but the table's impaled into that wall," you sighed, turning to point at the destroyed furniture.  You took a few steps to where you thought that the table must have been sitting before it was thrown across the room, pantomiming how Bucky must have moved his arm so that you could try to visualize where the book could have flown off to.  "Okay, so if the table was thrown from this side, the book could have slid off next to his foot, so it might have been kicked somewhere and not noticed."

Tony was nodding along as you spoke, though his attentions were elsewhere, studying the cheap snacks atop the refrigerator and trying to not touch any more than he had to.  When he turned around to talk to you again only to find you crawling around on the floor, he gasped and fought the urge to lift you from it.  "Ewww, sweetheart, get off of the floor."

"I think I see it under the fridge."

"Okay, great, but you're getting all dirty-"

"Why is this book so important again?" you deflected, crawling closer to your target.  "I want to be sure to make a detailed request for the new jeans that Bucky gets to buy for me after this."

"Steve said it has a bunch of stuff that he wanted to remember, and he thought it would be a nice surprise."

"Not nice enough for him to do this, though, right?"  Your fingers slowly slid into the dark space below the appliance, carefully feeling around as to not inadvertently hurt yourself, until they finally landed on the rough cover of the book.  "There, I've got it," you smiled, pulling it out and into his view.  "Wow, there's actually a lot in here.  Ooooh, he has a picture of Steve!"

"Let me see that-"

"Is someone in there?"

A loud banging on the makeshift door that had covered where the old one stood jolted Tony from the conversation, putting him on immediate edge.  "Shit," he snapped, taking the book from your hands and shoving it into his jacket pocket, "come on.  I don't feel like getting arrested when we still have so much to do."

"But if we didn't have so much to do, it would be okay?"

"That's not what I meant," he huffed, playfully sticking out his tongue as he reached for your hand to pull you out and onto the tiny balcony.  He pushed up on his toes to look over the edge and down so many stories that the distance gave him enough vertigo to make him take a step back.  "I really wish I had a suit right now."