Not Dead Yet (Romanoff x reader)

"This is your target," a man in a black jacket and dark sunglasses said, sliding a tablet across the small café table to you. "We need this done fast. Efficient and clean."

"Have you ever known me to do it any other way?" you smirked, taking the tablet in hand and rapidly tracing your fingers over its smooth screen to gather information on your next mission. "Time frame?"

"Confirmed death within the week. We wouldn't be sad if you took a few of the others with her."

File after file of information flashed past your fingers, yet moving far too slow for your liking. You were enhanced well beyond the limitations of any known tech, and your mind had far exceeded the tablet in your hand; it may as well have been words carved in stone for what it was offering you. You had been enhanced to actively use 100% of your brain power; what that meant to you was still somewhat amorphous and confusing, and you had yet to know the limits of your powers, or if there even were any. Being a master assassin had become so much easier now that the years of training that you had endured was almost nothing more than a distant memory to your current abilities.

"Wait," you stopped, leaning forward to lower your voice and sliding the tablet back to the man, "this says undercover. I don't do undercover work. Give it to someone else."

"We have, my dear, and they're all dead. Unable to complete the mission." He looked around causally, lifting his cup to his lips to take a long drink while surveying the surroundings. The steam from the liquid clouded his lenses, but you could see a tremor in his hands and heard the quiet clinking of glass when the cup came to rest again on its saucer; it was common for people to be nervous around you now once they knew what you could do. "This target has been problematic for us, and we only now realize that it should have been given to you first. We were concerned that the target could affect your focus."

"Please," you scoffed, standing to take your leave of him and anxious to get started, "Natasha Romanoff hasn't affected me in years."

~~~

"Again."

"You do it again," you panted, standing against the wall and hunched over to try to catch your breath. "We've been at this all day, Natasha. I'm not going to get it if we go one more time."

"I said, again, (Y/N)," she scolded. "When did you come to believe that challenging me was acceptable?"

"Maybe it was two nights ago when we were drunk and you called me your best friend."

Natasha smiled at you, but there was nothing genuine about it and her eyes didn't show any amusement. She watched you for only a moment before she made her move in an attempt to catch you off guard. "As your best friend, I'm only going to say this one more time." She pounced forward, wrapping her leg around yours and slamming her elbow into your back as you fell hard onto the cold mat. You hit with a loud slap of your already-bruised skin, the impact knocking the breath from your chest and leaving you gasping for air, but even now she continued to hold her stance over you.

"Again."

~~~

Steve Rogers (Captain America): Super Soldier, enhanced strength, speed, reflexes. Master tactician. Vibranium shield.

Tony Stark (Iron Man): Iron Man suit with advanced tech and weaponry. JARVIS intelligence system.

Clint Barton (Hawkeye): Expert marksman. Bow and arrow are chosen weapon, skilled in hand-to-hand combat.

Bruce Banner (Hulk): Last uncontrolled incident 2 years, 4 months ago. Immeasurable strength.

Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow): Assassin. Widow bites, batons, handguns are chosen weapons. Expert in hand-to-hand combat.