You're Dumber Than I Thought (Barnes/Rogers x reader)

Poly relationship

Being in a relationship with Bucky Barnes was a challenge to say the least; he had been through more than most people could survive in his lifetime, and the nightmares and mood swings showed that often enough, but that wasn't what brought you the most difficulty. It was being in a relationship together with Steve Rogers that would give you the most upheaval in your lives together. Of any two men in the world to love at the same time, these two may have been the craziest choices that you could make.

It began just as you would have expected, fighting at Steve's side with every mission because he felt immensely protective of you; it wasn't that he didn't feel the same for Bucky, but he had fought by his side for years and knew he would be okay. This overprotectiveness became the fight that you thought would end your relationship with both of them, but then one day it all shifted.

In a particularly violent battle, Steve had thrown you his shield for the very first time and it set something off inside of you. As soon as your hand slid through the leather straps and you held it in front of you, you felt invincible. All he could do was to stand in awe, watching while you charged straight into the midst of the fight in an almost animalistic protectiveness of him and he was frozen in place by the sight; in a strange and confusing mix of pride and arousal, he knew right then and there that you were a force of your own, and he never again questioned your ability.

Much to Bucky's dismay, however, it not only gave you freedom in your battles, it also gave you and Steve the freedom to do whatever you felt like doing as if you were unbreakable. The two of you became his worst nightmare, putting him into an almost constant state of worry and desperation to get you split up on any mission that he could. He had never had an ulcer before, and didn't think that he even could anymore, but you were testing that theory every time you suited up.

"Steve, no," Bucky scolded, "this is the dumbest idea you've ever had. No. You're not doing it. And you," he stopped and turned to you, pointing sharply, "I can't believe that you're going along with this. I thought you were the smart one here."

"Bucky, come on, we wouldn't do anything if we really thought that we'd get hurt. You're worrying for nothing," you tried to argue, but he clearly wasn't having it as he emphatically shook his head with every word you said.

"Nope, nope, that's not gonna fly, (Y/N). I know for a fact that you would still do it because I've watched you two idiots do more stupid shit than I can count on both hands. You're not indestructible! Sweetheart, Steve has an edge on you with this, because it's harder to hurt him. You can't count on him to keep you from getting hurt, and I'm not always going to be there either."

"Come on man," Steve finally joined in, "we've done the work and planned this out. I'm not gonna let anything happen to her. Do you really think that I'd be okay with this if I didn't have control?"

"Yes."

"We're just about at the drop zone, Cap," Sam called out from the quinjet pilot seat. Steve stepped to the rear door and slammed his hand against the controls, lowering the ramp for the two of you to step out onto.

"At least put on a parachute," Bucky urged, grabbing your arm to stop you. "Just in case you lose your grip."

"Fine, if it will get you to back off," you huffed. Hurrying to grab a pack, you slung it onto your back as the two of you quickly secured the latches before you could miss your jump target. "Takes all the fun out of it though," you mumbled.

"Yeah, and it also takes out the chances of you dying."

"Steve isn't gonna drop me, Buck. You don't usually let the people you love fall to their death."

Bucky stopped cold and his hands dropped to his sides, his face losing its expression and turning pale at your words. Even with the rush of winds blowing into the cabin, you could hear Sam gasp in shock from the front, and when Steve turned around with a look as if you had just stabbed him in the heart, you were quickly aware of what you had actually said.

"Shit, Buck, that's not...I didn't mean..." you stammered, feeling like the idiot that Bucky had been arguing that you were. "Honey, I didn't mean that. I swear, it never occurred to me..."

"It's okay," he shook it off, returning to his work on your parachute and making a clear effort to not meet your eyes now, "I know you didn't."

"That's why you don't want me to do this."

"I know he's not gonna drop you." With the loud snap of the final clasp, he gave you a gentle but sad smile and leaned in for a quick kiss on your cheek before turning you towards Steve. "All right, hold on tight, okay? Don't miss your mark when he says to roll away or you're both gonna get hurt. It's all in the timing."

"Buck..."

"Steve, make sure you're solid with that shield, alright? If you don't land square you're gonna throw her off her own landing."

You shook yourself out of his grip and turned back to face him, feeling Steve take a step up behind you to help when you began to take off the parachute that he had just helped you put on. "No. I'm not doing this."

"What? Why not? You guys have been planning this for weeks."

"She's right," Steve agreed readily, "it's not a good idea."

Bucky watched with his mouth agape and confusion in his eyes while you put the pack away and waited while Steve closed the jet door again. He waited silently while the two of you exchanged a few words that he couldn't quite hear, but he knew exactly what the topic was. "You guys, don't do this because of me. If you've got a solid plan and if you're sure that no one is gonna get hurt, then you should do it. It's not just anyone who gets the chance to jump without a parachute, (Y/N)."

"Yeah, and it's not just anyone who has a guy like you to love them enough to stop them." You moved to stand in front of him and took both of his hands, bringing them up to hold over his heart as you spoke. "I'm so sorry for what I said, and if I hurt you. You know that I wouldn't-"

"I know."

"Forgive me?"

"Nothing to forgive, doll," he smiled brighter now, leaning in for a kiss, but he pulled back before his soft lips connected to yours, much to your dismay. "Actually, there are a few things for you to apologize for. Both of you, now that I think about it."

"Oh yeah, like what?" Steve asked eagerly, crossing his arms tightly over his chest and ready to argue.

"Climbing the Brooklyn Bridge without harnesses," he began without pause. "Seeing who could jump the farthest between buildings, reprogramming Tony's suits to fly only face-up, running around in Scott's suit until you got stepped on. Twice."

Steve groaned loudly as if he knew that he couldn't fight back and that Bucky was absolutely right; you two were trouble when you wanted to be. He took your hand and pulled you to the back of the jet to where you thought you could get away from the berating, but Bucky only followed with as many examples as he could think of just to torture you with his point.

"You superglued Clint's arrows into his quiver right before a mission. How about that time you decided to take Sam's wings instead of your parachute, (Y/N)? That didn't turn out so well, now did it? Don't snicker at me, Rogers. I heard about the time you jumped off of a bridge to catch that lady. Believe me, I'm just getting warmed up, here."