The Right Mind On The Wrong Side (Stark x reader)

No one in their right mind would have funded it.

You sat on the side of the stage, well out of the view of the mass of students and staff as they listened to Tony's presentation at MIT, opening himself up to them with one of his many painful memories of the day he had lost his parents. It hurt you to see him this way, but you couldn't let him see that, because it only fueled his guilt even more to put that on you. You had been at his side as a teammate since the Battle of New York brought you out of SHIELD's ranks to join the Avengers, but in the last month or so, the two of you had become more and you had been given insight into what made him into this broken version of himself that you were now watching.

"All of your projects have just been approved and funded!" he announced with a hint of happiness in his voice, though it didn't at all match the expression behind it. "No strings, no taxes, just...reframe the future!"

"Holy shit," you muttered under your breath, turning to the fidgety little man at your side. "How much are we talking? What did he just commit to, dollars-wise?"

"Millions," he smiled widely, almost creepily in his excitement, "so many millions."

You stood with your mouth agape at the idea of just how much Tony had promised away, your mind spinning with the number that you could barely comprehend. You watched him pause, though you couldn't see his face anymore, and when he spoke again he sounded broken and somber, very much unlike the charismatic man you had come to love over the years. He finally forced himself to turn away from the eager and energized faces staring back at him, realizing that he couldn't bring himself to offer any more.

"Tony," you greeted when he left the stage and approached, "what was that?"

"Hmm? What was what?"

"That took my breath away," the tiny little man broke in, pushing you aside a step, "Tony, so generous! So much money!"

It was more of a shock to you that Tony kept on, moving towards the exit as if he were in autopilot, not saying any more to you or to the jerk who just pushed you out of his way. "Excuse me," you broke in, "but I think Mr. Stark-"

"Will any portion of that grant be made available to faculty?"

"Okay, listen, you creepy little turtle," you finally insisted, finding your tolerance gone and your voice more firm than ever, "back off. I'll be answering any questions that you have about Tony's presentation, and I'll be doing it when I'm damn good and ready. Until then, shove your pointy head back under your shell and wait for me."

"Restroom's this way, yeah?" Tony asked, clearly not hearing the conversation you were having right next to him. He was in a daze, and you were growing more concerned with each one of his steps.

"Tony, hold on," you urged, taking his arm in your hand, thankful when he complied and stopped. You turned to the annoyance in glasses that was still standing next to you, waving him away dismissively just to not have to hear him breathing anymore if nothing else. "Okay, so go, Toby. Find a spot in the corner and wait your turn."

The man took your direction with a pout, though also with a firmly set jaw to maintain a hint of his waning dignity. Tony smiled for the first time, though it was quickly dashed and he looked away, returning to his path towards the door.

"Toby?"

"He looks like the turtle from Robin Hood."

He looked back with a glance over his shoulder at the dejected man, nodding with a quick agreement. "Sure, I can see that. Good call. Listen," he stopped, leaning in to give you a chaste kiss on the cheek, "I'll be right back."