How Is This Now About Me? (Stark x reader)

During Iron Man 2

Tony Stark was many things, but most important to you over anything else, he was your idiot best friend who had suddenly decided that it was his greatest idea ever to go on a self-destructive fuck-it spree that now left you standing alone, watching him dive in even deeper. The verbal berating that you had given him for the race car fiasco in Monaco seemed to have slowed the man down at first, but being here now, listening to him pee in his suit with a lopsided and inebriated smile on his face, you knew that your words had gone in one ear and out the other. What you didn't know was why he was so blatantly falling apart, and on such a public stage.

"Hey, (Y/N), what's the matter?"

"I don't know what to do," you whined to Rhodey as he approached, your eyes never leaving your friend. "I don't know what's happening to him."

Standing at your side, Rhodey was as still and as helpless as you were feeling in that moment, the two of you watching Tony fully clad in one of his suits while flailing and failing to entertain the crowd at his birthday party in his Malibu mansion. "You've got to be kidding me. I'm gonna put a stop to this-"

"No, Rhodey, wait. Maybe I can think of something," you grabbed his arm to stop him, "let me give it a try. Just hold on, and hope that it works."

"Fine, one try," he pointed at you sharply, "and then I'm shutting this down."

With an uneasy breath that meant to calm you but only exacerbated your nerves, you nodded hastily hurried across the room. Tony was watching you as you came closer, and the exuberance of his tone faded away just as quickly as your feet were moving towards him. "Here's my favorite girl in the world!" he announced to the crowd, but there was no joy in his tone. "Uh oh, she looks maaaaad. Bad Tony's about to get a spanking, guys, and not the happy birthday kind! At least I hope not..."

"Aw, that's almost sweet," you answered with a forced smile, taking the microphone from his hand, "but I think it's time to say goodnight, and thank you to everyone for coming out tonight-"

"No, no, no," Tony mumbled, leaning in closer, puckering his lips, "come on, I haven't had my birthday smooch yet. Wouldn't this be a great first kiss?"

You lowered the microphone to your side, your open hand raised up to push him back, but not enough to topple his wobbly balance. "You're not getting one from me."

"Pleeeease."

"Tony, it's time to stop."

"You're such a party pooper, (Y/N)," he snapped, leaning away with a snarl and turning back to the crowd. "The party may be over, but the afterparty is just getting started!"

"Tony!" came a shout from a random guest that left him all but ignoring that you were even there. "Tony over here!"

"That's my name, sweetheart! I'd love to hear you wear it out!"

You rolled your eyes at the insinuation and crassness from your friend, turning back to Rhodey, who's expression was hard and completely unamused. Some vapid blond wearing a dress tighter than plastic wrap scurried her way to the front of the group, suggestively holding a champagne bottle with a wink to Tony before tossing it in the air. His hand came up with reflexes so fast that you wondered if it were more Jarvis than Tony, blasting the in mid-air, spraying the expensive alcohol and darkened glass everywhere.

"Tony, what the hell?!"

"Live a little, (Y/N)!"

The excitement didn't die down as you had hoped; instead, it grew beyond any control you might have tried to gain, and now that very same blonde was holding up a watermelon that looked like it weighed more than she did. If the surroundings weren't so problematic, you might have laughed at her struggle to move with it, but instead, you groaned to yourself at the absurdity of it all.