They Haven't Let Me Down (Rogers/Stark/Barnes x reader)

Reader characterization is from We Are Not Soldiers in Book 1

Tony,

I'm glad you're back at the compound, I don't like the idea of you rattling around a mansion by yourself. We all need family. The Avengers are yours, maybe more so than mine. I've been on my own since I was 18. I never really fit in anywhere – even in the Army. My faith is in people, I guess. Individuals. And I'm happy to say for the most part, they haven't let me down. Which is why I can't let them down either. Locks can be replaced, but – maybe they shouldn't. I know I hurt you Tony. I guess I thought – by not telling you about your parents I was sparing you, but... I can see now I was really sparing myself. I'm sorry. Hopefully one day you can understand. I wish we agreed on the Accords, I really do. I know you were only doing what you believe in, and that's all any of us can do, it's all any of us should. So no matter what, I promise if you — if you need us. If you need me, I'll be there.

Steve

It was a stupid bet that brought you to this moment, that brought you to a letter in Tony's desk that you were never meant to see. Steve and Tony had gotten caught up in some ridiculous competition yet again, and this time the victor would get Tony's office, which was three-times bigger than the one Steve had been stuck with since the two of you moved back into the compound after a few years away. For the last week you had heard nothing but whines from your brother about how Steve had won by cheating, and endless chides and gloating from Steve as to how easy it was to beat him.

The levity of the entire situation quickly faded away as you read the words on the crumpled paper that you had found at the back of one of the desk drawers, blinking away your confusion at what it was that you had actually found. You had read it several times before finally deciding that the best way to the bottom of it was straight to the source.

"Hey, Steve?"

"Yeah, doll?" he called back from down the hall.

"Could you come here for a minute?"

The heavy footsteps heading your way began immediately, and when he arrived in the doorway, his arms were filled with nearly every belonging that he had stored in his office. Tony's room was nowhere near ready for him to move in yet, so he found an empty corner to set everything down, returning to stand behind you with a gentle rub of your neck as he looked over your shoulder at what you held in your hands for him. "Where...where did you get that?" he stammered quietly. "I thought he um, threw that away."

"What does that mean, 'by not telling you about your parents I was sparing you'?"

"Nothing, (Y/N), it's old news," he dodged, reaching out to take the letter from your hands, but you quickly evaded him. "Seriously, we've moved on."

"Tony!"

"(Y/N), come on, we don't have to bring him into-"

"What the hell was that?" Tony ran in only seconds later, his eyes wide with fear. "Who's getting murdered?"

You pushed up from the chair with a grunt and a shove to tip Steve back a few steps so that you could get to Tony without him trying to stop you, rushing forward with the letter in hand. "Tony, what is this? Steve won't tell me where this came from, and he's acting shady about it."

Tony took the letter and immediately straightened his stance, clearing his throat uncomfortably before doing his best to explain. He had put it away with the decision to leave it alone and to not revisit it, but now he realized that he should have just thrown it away in the first place. He didn't know why he hadn't, and he was kicking himself for having the opportunity for you to find it.