Chapter 1: Remember

Danielle’s POV

Yesterday, after saying my goodbyes to my family and enduring an agonizingly boring 6 hour flight to arrive here in California, I made my way to my dorm room. Admittedly I did get lost a few times but, hey, that’s normal right? Once I finally got to my room, I put my stuff on the bed of the right side of the room, and basked I the glory of college life. Not just any college life; Allen Dale college life. It’s the next day and I still love it. Granted I’ve been in my dorm room since I got here, but so far it’s everything I imagined. I hope I like it here. It’d be more than disappointing to work so hard to get in and not even like the place. I looked over to the alarm clock next to my bed and saw it’s already 8 am. I don’t have any classes until tomorrow so I think I’ll just walk around campus. See what it really has to offer. I took a shower in the dormitory’s bathroom, which isn’t really the cleanest place might I add. After my shower I got dressed and headed out. I walked around and about campus for a while until I got lost. I guess I was pretty noticeable too because some complete stranger came up to me and asked if I knew where I was going. I have to admit, she was pretty.

“You look totally lost. Do you know where you’re going?”

“Not really. Can you tell me where to get a good coffee?”

“Well, you can either go to Starbucks, which is straight down that way,” she pointed down a street behind me, “or you can follow me up to Urth Café.”

Well I don’t want to get lost again, and maybe this girl can show me around campus a bit more. “I think I’ll try Hurt Café… although it doesn’t sound too inviting.” I laughed at my own joke until I realized she was giving me a really dirty look.

“Whatever. Just follow me.” She started walking off and I followed closely behind. I attempted starting a conversation but she never replied to anything I said, like I wasn’t even there. What’s up with this chick?

“I’m Danielle; Dani for short. I didn’t get your name.”

She stopped abruptly in her tracks and caused me to bump into her back. She turned around and I could tell by the look on her face she was very annoyed. “Look, I’m just leading you Urth, NOT trying to become friends. So just follow me, and shut up.” I nodded my head and she continued on walking. Rude much? I would rather be lost than with this person. Soon enough we were at our destination and before I could even thank her for her help, she ran off to her friends. From the looks of it, she had a lot of them but I don’t see why since she has the worst attitude I’ve ever seen. I went to the counter and ordered an Italian Biscotti and a Hot Cocoa. I sat by myself and a few tables I could see the girl that brought me here. She was all over this guy, who looked pretty familiar, but he seemed more interested in the girls passing by than her. I guess she noticed that as well because she (what looked like purposefully to me) spilled her coffee in his lap.

“SHIT!!! DAMN IT STELLA!! WHAT THE HELL?!?!” Stella. So that’s her name. Well, he looked pretty angry at Stella. Standing up and took off his shirt to wipe off his pants. He could’ve just gotten a napkin but from where I’m sitting, he has the sexiest body I’ve ever seen so, I’m not complaining one bit. I got up and walked inside to get him some napkins. When I turned around to go back outside, I saw that he was already on his way over here.

“Here you go.” I handed him the napkins and he looked at me very confused. “I saw the spill out there. So what was it, a jealous girlfriend?”

The boy laughed and stared wiping himself down. “Yeah, jealous over nothing.”

“A girl has a reason for everything she does. No matter how stupid that reason may be, she has a reason.”

He threw away the napkins and looked back up at me. “Well, I guess you’re right. My name is Jaden. Jaden Smith. So, what was your reason of getting me napkins?”

Jaden Smith? OH MY JESUS CHRIST!! IT’S HIM!!!   What should I do?! Okay, Dani. Just keep it cool. Just because he’s your childhood best friend doesn’t mean you should freak out.

“I was just being a good friend.”

“Friend? I just met you and we’re already friends? I don’t even know your name. But you do look familiar. What is your name, stranger?”

Stranger? He doesn’t even remember me. I think my heart just broke. “Umm… My name? It’s uhhh… Not important. You should get back to your girlfriend. She’s probably waiting for you.” Before he could even reply, I turned and walked out of the door. I walked to my dorm and plopped on my bed.  He doesn’t even remember me. After all those years together, he doesn’t remember.  I got up and picked up my bag. Opening the smallest pouch, I pulled out the Cartier ring Jaden gave to me 9 years ago. Well, after all those years apart, I can’t really expect him to remember, can I? “Cartier.”