Chapter 35: Halloween Frights

Danielle's POV

I stood in the midst of many, but at the same time none. I stood in the midst of the fallen, but the ones who still stood strong. I hadn't been here in a while; 10 years to be exact. I stood in front of the tomb stone that read, "Daniel K. Summers", then "Loving Husband and Father" on the next line, and finally "1969- 2000" on the last.

"I don't know if you're listening Dad, but if you are, I'm sorry for not coming to see you." I sat a couple of feet from the tombstone, regretting not bringing any flowers. "I've just been a bit busy... I know that's the worst excuse ever but, it's all I have." I chuckled, bringing my knees to my chest and wrapping my arms around them. "A lot has changed since the last time we talked. I have a boyfriend, his name is Jaden. I love him, and I think you'd really like him. He's a lot like you actually. And Mom moved to New York, and got remarried. His name is Jason. He isn't too fond of Jaden though... Jason and Mom have a beautiful daughter, her name is Tori. She's great, just like Mom. I know Mom misses you, but it's good she's found someone to love right? I know it's what you would've wanted... But I think they're angry with me. Jason and Jaden's family had a pretty heated argument and I told Mom and Jason not to call unless they were to apologize. Was I wrong to do that-- to choose Jaden over my family? I mean, I love him and all but, family is family, and they were just trying to protect me."

I sighed loudly pausing and waiting, hoping for an answer, but knowing none would come. I felt a lump in my throat, and it grew bigger by the second. My eyes began to water, and I couldn't hold it in any longer. "I miss you, Daddy." I cried out. "I miss how you used to sing me to bed when I was a kid, and how you used to dance with me. I miss how you'd try your best to cook food when mom was gone, but we'd always end up getting pizza instead. It sucks that I had to grow up and watch other girls with their dads.... Their real dads. It sucks that you couldn't be there for my first recital, or my sweet sixteen, or my graduation. You won't be able to see me get married, or have kids and become successful. It sucks that it had to be you in that car crash, and it sucks that you were taken from me. It just sucks."

Tears ran down my cheeks, and I heard a cracking sound. I looked up and saw Jaden standing beside me. "I thought you were going to wait in the car." I said, quickly wiping the tears from my face, and trying my best to hide the fact that I was just crying-- though it was certainly obvious.

"I decided not to." He said softly. "Daniel? Is he your father?" I nodded my head. "I know this is a stupid question but, do you miss him." I chuckled, nodding my head again. "Tell me about him."

"Well, I was about 7 when he passed, so theres not much I can tell. Mostly I remember him teaching me how to dance."

"He was a dancer?"

"Yeah. And a singer, musician, actor, and artist. He could pretty much do anything. He met my mom at a dance competition. He was dancing hip-hop, but he knew ballet and almost every other style of dance; that's what really realed my mother in." Jaden laughed softly. "He and my mom used to dance together all the time after they thought they put me to bed. I'd watch them from the top of our steps. They'd do the tango or waltz in the living room almost every night. Sometimes they'd catch me, and instead of sending me back to bed, they'd let me join in. He taught me just about all he knew and I was a pretty good dancer. I got tons of awards and medals. But then I quit because I wanted to sing. I loved dancing, but music was my passion."

We sat in silence for a while, before Jaden spoke. "I'm sorry."

"Why?" I asked looking at him.

"I never knew. I never even thought to ask. The struggles you probably went through... Unbelievable."

"It's okay. I kind of pushed it to the back of my mind... Like I seem to do with everything I don't want to deal with. And with Jason it made it even easier to pretend like it never happened. I guess without my family I have no choice but to rehash."