Epilogue

I jump through the window, successfully skirting pass the broken window pane and land softly onto the carpeted floors of my bedroom

I jump through the window, successfully skirting pass the broken window pane and land softly onto the carpeted floors of my bedroom. I quickly strip off the cloak, wrap it into a ball and stuff it underneath my mattress. With a few nights rest, the mattress would flatten it out and my parents won't be able to find it. Not that it'd need another night.

I remove my shoes, shake the mud that was collected from my run off through the window and slam it shut. I thrust the shoes into the back of my closet and quickly hide myself under the sheets as I hear the familiar creak of the floorboards.

Father is coming.

I close my eyes, focusing intently on slowing my breathing as I'm acutely aware of his Alpha abilities. He'd be able to hear my erratic heartbeat from a few yards away. If he were in his right mind.

I use the few seconds before his arrival praying that he isn't completely conscious and whatever he went out to do tonight with my mother was enough to throw him off-kilter. I'd come too close for it all to evaporate now. All I need is for him to be distracted this once so that my disappearance, the pungent scent of woods that lingered on my skin, and the slight chill in the room wouldn't be noticed by him.

I hold my breath as I hear the heavy thud of his boots hit the boards signaling his proximity to my room. I feel the familiar sting of tears hit the back of my eyes and I close them to alleviate the burn. This always happens, except this time I might actually get caught. I took too long to get back and the odds leaned away from my favor. One whiff and he'd smell my disobedience which would lead to me being punished today. Right before I would be free.

God, no. Please, no.

His footsteps slow as they approach my door and then stops suddenly. I listen intently as I hear his heartbeats increase. He curses under his breath and his hand lands harshly onto the door knob wracking it furiously. I hold back the sob as the gravity of what I've done sunk deep into my bones, paralyzing my every movement.

This is it.

"Aziki!" I hear him shout. I stop breathing completely as I lay still beneath the covers. "Are you awake?"

I don't answer as I count the seconds until he busts through the door and take my impending freedom away.

"Rod, shh, you might wake her up. Tomorrow's the big day." I hear my mother whisper.

"It smells different out here. Like she's been outside." he says, releasing the doorknob.

"She probably opened her windows." she said, I hear shifting and then a kiss was heard before she continued, "Ask her tomorrow, but not now. She has to rest for the big day."

I hear him grunt as they both walk away. I wait until I hear they've gone to their rooms and close their door to release my breath and sit up.

Gasps erupted from my mouth as I held myself up against the bed. My lungs fought to get as much air into my lungs as possible as the tears trudged slowly down my cheeks.