Chapter 6

I realized I really didn't know who this man was

I realized I really didn't know who this man was. Adrian was much different from what I underestimated him to be. As I stared at his blood-filled figure on his knees in front me all I could do is think about what I saw.

One week earlier

I was gathering my stuff to leave Adrian's place. Much to my satisfaction, we had gotten a lot of constructive work done and he also adhered to my request. He didn't make physical contact with me. He never saw me out of our scheduled meeting time. It was like we were strictly business partners and not mates. I didn't exactly prefer that, but for now that would be ok. Whenever I saw him, he was tense though and my instincts were killing me to ease it but who is a man who doesn't plays by his rules or in this situation, a woman?

"The guards are ready to transport you. Your dad will be meeting you back at your pack house" Adrian said gruffly. I took in his features. He looked rough. His stubble was growing, and his eyes held a slight black shade underneath. I could see that Xenus and this whole 'withholding from mate' thing was getting to him.

"Thank you, Adrian." I said curtly cutting eye contact with him. I didn't want to get acquainted with him. I didn't deserve a mate. I'm a monster and because he doesn't know that I really don't wish for him to.

I grabbed my bag while he nodded at me and made my way down the hall towards the back door where the guards were waiting. One of them took the bag from me and placed it in the trunk before proceeding to open the door for me. I looked up at Adrian, his expression giving nothing away as he held onto the door post waiting for me to leave. He gave me a small smile as I got in the car and I smiled back letting him know we held no grudge. The car drove off, Adrian never once left my sight until we turned onto the highway.

*****************************************************

I finally reached home. True to his word, my dad stood by the pack house awaiting my arrival. I got out of the car and walked up to the door. I nodded at my dad him ding the same. No hugs or kisses. We were never sentimental. We shared mutual agreements, one being I was supposed to be strong; never portraying soft emotions. He grew me like that.

I stepped past him and immediately headed to my study. Multiple requests have already accumulated on my desk making me sigh in pleasure at my usual alpha duties. My beta was sleeping by the couch in my study making me smile.

I sat at my desk completely forgetting about the guards who carried me here. On that cue one walked in with my bag placing it in front of my desk.

"Thank you, Xander. Express my gratitude to your fellow guards and tell them to travel safe." I said genuinely. He barely cracked a smile before leaving saying he would relay the message.

As soon as I begun the pack work time flew by. It was already bedtime. I ignored my fatigue and continued to soak myself in work. I needed to be worthy of this pack and I needed to get my alpha duties done.