Chapter 7: Doubt

'Chapter Seven: Doubt

The practice field of Chisago was brimming with hectic activity despite being late at night.

People rushed back and forth in between the grassy fields full of archery targets and straw dummies, and the sound of laughter and conversation intermingled with the metallic clang of swords clashing and grunts of exertion of men and women testing their skills against each other.

Gus's focus wasn't on them, however.

Swinging his practice sword with a snarl, he met his brother's blade with a clang, then jerked back and swung again. Angelo grinned at him when he struck again, and again, and again, to no avail, and then with a speed that left him reeling, he swung.

Gus suddenly found his sword flying out of his hands, and was whacked in the temple.

He stumbled, ears ringing, and rubbed his bruising skull in barely leashed rage, but when Angelo laughed, his knees gave out and he sank down to the grass. The laughter abruptly cut off, but Gus didn't care, he merely put his head in his hands and let out a strangled growl of irritation.

Gentle hands coated in chainmail were suddenly on his shoulders

"Did I hurt you, little brother?" Angelo asked in a soft baritone. "Are you all right?"

"I am fine," Gus said. "Your blow was very well aimed, but that is not what troubles me."

"Then what does trouble you?"

Gus's shoulders sagged.

"The demon boy we brought back here troubles me," he said, pained. "This entire situation is wrong, and I can't condone it. Even if that creature is a monster, he still saved my life, Angelo... and no matter what anyone says, he doesn't deserve to be tortured the way we've been doing."

"You and I both know that demons don't feel emotional pain," his brother muttered. "That beast, no matter how bloodied and battered he becomes, will feel nothing."

"It still isn't right!" Gus snarled, raising his eyes with a glare. "It's not right! Emotions or no emotions, torture is wrong! When demons kill others, at least they do it quickly!"

"Orders are orders," Angelo growled. "Ella's word is law. We are obligated to follow her commands without fail, even if what she tells us to do is the worst possible thing you could imagine, my brother. She is, after all, the ruler of these lands."

Gus stared at him coldly.

"If she ordered you to take your sword to me, here and now," he said slowly, "would you do it?"

Angelo's grey-green eyes widened behind their helmet and he pulled back, but didn't answer the question... not like that really mattered, since the mere lack of an answer was enough for him to know the truth. Gus silently rose to his feet and walked away from his elder sibling, even more disgusted by everything going on around him.

He was nearly at the edge of the practice field when his brother ran out from behind him and barred his path, planting both hands on his shoulders.

"I would disobey," he said quietly. "If she ever ordered the death of you or my son, Michael, I would defect from her and the three of us would flee across the Nimikan Border. I would never, ever turn my blade on you, Brother... we are adults with our own lives and paths, but I'll not have you think I don't love you. Never, ever for even a second think that I would harm you."

Gus stared at the earnestness in those eyes.

"You allowed the public torture of a creature that saved my life," he said quietly, "and you said nothing when I made my protest against Ella's decision to give him leftover pig feed to eat. I owe him every breath of life that I take, brother, yet you refuse to allow me to treat him better."