Chapter 131: Dinner with a Devil

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty-One: Dinner with a Devil

She was ready.

The preparations had finally been finished, the sun was in the process of dipping below the horizon, and Ella was staring at herself in the mirror that hung on the wall, wondering if she was being watched through the glass even as she gazed into her own eyes.

The dark blue gown fit her like a glove, looking and even feeling rather airy. It was completely unlike the frilly, cumbersome gowns that so many women were fond of, but in its own way, the simplicity of the design somehow enhanced the fact that it looked so elegant.

It clung comfortably to her waist and chest, and at the throat, the gown had been cut in a simple manner, giving her room to breathe and better yet, there were no sleeves, which gave her arms freedom to move around.

She sighed, then twirled in a circle, watching the ankle-length skirt balloon outwards like a flower before cascading back down in dark, silken folds. She'd tied her hair back into a neat ponytail with a matching dark blue ribbon, and as she examined it, she found that she actually rather liked the way her tresses looked tied back.

"I'm ready," she said, swallowing her nervousness. "I have to be strong and get answers."

Patting her cheeks and steeling herself to face the embarrassment she knew was going to come the moment she showed her face to the others, she snatched the white elbow-length gloves she'd brought into the bathroom and pulled them on, covering her pale arms.

She looked at herself once more and wondered, for a moment, if Xaphile would think she looked beautiful; her heart fluttered and her cheeks flamed hot, but she quickly shook her head, telling herself not to get distracted since his little brother was in serious trouble.

She could remember the distraught look on his face after first coming out of the bath, and that was why she needed to do her best. Opening the door, she walked out with her head held high and everyone immediately looked up, but instead of poking fun at her like she was expecting, her friends stayed dead silent and simply stared at her with wide eyes.

Ella, however, couldn't move because she'd locked gazes with Xaphile. His exotically upturned aquamarine irises flitted across her dress with an intensity that made her heart pound.

She tried her hardest not to fidget as he looked her up and down, but when his eyes lifted and connected with her own yet again, his face flushed and he instantly pulled a strand of his long black hair over his shoulder,  running unseen claws through it.

"Wow!" Vrael finally screamed, rising to his feet. "Is that really you?!"

Ella's brow twitched and she glared at him, crassly folding her arms.

"Of course it's me, you idiot," she barked. "Don't get too full of yourself."

"You clean up nicely," Sinmir murmured. "I hope the same can be said of me."

She turned and saw that the prince had dressed himself up in attire that looked completely different from his typical bland armor and clothing, and not only that, his wild mane of blonde hair had been brushed and tied back into a lazy ponytail that began just below his neck.

She ogled his clothing. 

He was wearing an embroidered red tunic with gold stitching over a shirt with elegant ruffles running down the chest, and his white tights actually went very well with his knee-high black boots. She found herself wondering where he'd gotten such extravagant finery until she remembered who he was and gave herself a mental smack.