Chapter 161: Premonition

Chapter One Hundred and Sixty-One: Premonition

Vordt couldn't believe his ears.

All he could do was stare at Zelphira blankly as she knelt beside the glowing river in her secret garden. The long hair flowing down her back rippled like moonlight upon a disturbed pond when she finally stopped speaking and turned to look at him with an apologetic glance.

"Is this a jape?" he finally growled. "Zelphira...  are you truly telling me that coming back here to seek your aid was a waste of time?"

"It's not a jest, jape, or joke, my brother," she said softly. "It was not a waste of time, either. However, right now, it is not the right moment to act. "

He really couldn't believe it.

He had wasted an entire day flying all the way back to Gwyradyll Hollow to speak with her, just to find out that she wouldn't lend any immediate support. His face contorted and he turned to walk away, but Zelphira was on her feet and running before he could so much as take a step.

Her arms came around him from behind.

"Do not be angry, and do not leave just yet," she said softly, resting her head on his shoulder to keep him still. "You've come all this way. Rest for a little while longer."

"Don't touch me!" he hissed, jerking away roughly; the fury and revulsion in his voice was frightening to her and she flinched away. "For one who can see terrible events before they come to pass, you have a sorry way of helping those who need you most." 

She stared at him with hurt on her face.

"If I interfere with things that have not taken place, the entire course of our lives could rewrite itself and change in a way that isn't favorable," she told him. "Brother, you know how the council is... I will have to convince them that aiding the south is worthwhile before I can do anything."

"Then get busy," he hissed, rubbing his face. "You fail to understand the darkness of this situation, Zelphira. And how accurate is your ability to See?"

She paused, then looked at him strangely.

"I am always right," she said slowly, long ear flicking as she tilted her head. "I have never once been wrong, You know this. I am more curious as to why you would ask such a question."

He sat for a moment, then got to his feet, carefully digging through the pack he'd brought back with him. She blinked when he gathered up the blood-stained white dress he'd pilfered from Ella and held it out, eyes hard.

"You said that he was dead," he growled. "You said that you saw the fate of our brother, Olagrell, with your gift... that you felt the life bleed from his body as he burned to death ten years ago."

"I did indeed," she confirmed, staring at the gown with large eyes. "What is this, brother? Why do you have a gown stained with blood?" 

"Take it," he growled. "Take it and draw in the scent among the fabric."

She stared at him in perplexity, then took the dress and gently held the fabric to her nose and close her eyes as she drew in a deep breath. She flinched, eyes flying open wide, and stared out at nothing, pupils expanding so much that they nearly obscured her irises.

She stood, frozen, then buried her face in the cloth and inhaled, repetitively, before letting out a cry and dropping the tattered gown.

"What is this?!" she cried, hands shaking as she covered her mouth; her tail snapped back and forth, lashing the plants behind her. "This scent is his! Brother, what's happened?! Why is this gown covered in---"