Chapter 142: Catching Up

Chapter One Hundred and Forty Two: Catching Up

The walk back to the inn was a quiet one, punctuated only by the sound of footsteps. 

Xaphile followed Sinmir at a short distance through the city, and while the marvels of Atka's architecture normally would have drawn his gaze, his attention was fixed on something far more fascinating and for the life of him, he couldn't look away. 

Adariel was sitting nestled in the crook of his arm.

Little head pillowed against his shoulder, bony arms wrapped around his neck in an almost vice-like grip, the kid seemed perfectly content to use his arm as a seat, and Xaphile was more than happy to carry him around like this. He relished in the closeness of his sibling's presence.

As they rounded the bend and started passing by the alley, he snapped out of his daze and looked in the opposite direction to avoid seeing it, but instead he spotted a splotch of something dark on the black stone wall. 

He stared at it as he walked by, feeling that same strange creepy twinge from earlier.

It made him uneasy, and it unsettled him greatly, but although he couldn't figure out why, his mulling thoughts vanished when they made it back to the inn, hurrying inside and making their way up the stairs to their room, where a wonderful smell was wafting out into the open.

Adariel's eyes gleamed and Xaphile could practically see his mouth watering when Sinmir opened the door and walked inside. 

"Oh, hey!" Vrael instantly laughed, waving at them. "Welcome back, guys!"

Ella spun around in her seat, pink eyes taking them in with a gleam of relief. Vordt looked over too, gave him a measuring glance, then smirked. Xaphile smiled back, heart jumping because it was actually the nicest look his uncle had ever given him and he didn't want to ruin it.

Amelia, meanwhile, looked at Adariel and smiled.

"Welcome back," she greeted, inclining her head. "Let's all eat a good breakfast, shall we?"

"What are we having?" Sinmir cheerfully burbled. "Vegetable soup again?"

"No, I made something more elaborate this time," she explained, waving him over. "Come try some, but oh, do be careful not to burn your mouth."

"Why? Is it hot?" Sinmir asked, frowning. "Or simply spicy?"

"Neither, but I will fix yours to be such if you keep asking questions and delay Xaphile's little brother from eating any further," she said pleasantly, raising her hands and giving him a menacing wiggle of her fingers. "Be careful. Don't test the good graces of an herbalist."

Sinmir blinked, then cracked up, throwing his head back with a booming fit of laughter. 

Adariel looked back and forth between them, taking in the jovial mood and the jokes, and then he let out a sigh, looking more than a little relieved.

"They're not bad," he whispered. "I'm really okay."

Forcing a smile, Xaphile ruffled his brother's damp hair just as Sinmir walked past them, grey eyes lingering on the hand he'd laid on Adariel's head, and with a smirk he didn't understand, the blonde man sat down in the empty seat between Ella and Vordt.

Xaphile followed suit and put his brother down beside him on the opposite side; Ella looked at them for a second before glancing at the food laid out on the myriad of plates.