Chapter 10: Sentenced

Chapter Ten: Sentenced

Pulling a set of keys out of a small pouch, the man in front unlocked the cage and backed away.

"Out!" he barked, jerking the ropes in his hand. "On your feet, beast."

Xaphile pushed himself upright and crawled out into the open, but before he could stand up, someone's boot smashed him face-first into the ground.

He winced when he got a mouthful of dirt, but he merely put up with it when they jerked his arms behind his back and tied him like they had before.

With the exception of his feet, they tied every part of his body, even going as far as wrapping a rope around his throat.

He winced again when the lead guard jerked on the makeshift leash.

"So, where are we taking him this time?" one of the men inquired. "Did Lady Ella inform you, captain?"

"We were told to bring him to the post in the town square again," the lead guard snorted, cruelly dragging Xaphile behind him when they started walking. "Apparently, she's going to sentence the beast at sunrise. Everyone has already gathered."

"Shite," another man groused in disappointment. "That means this is the only opportunity we have to enjoy a bit more fun before she kills it."

"Might as well make it memorable, then," one of the guards behind him snickered, startling Xaphile by grabbing his tail and yanking on it. "Here!"

It was like he'd been shocked.

His back involuntarily arched and the appendage flailed around until it broke free.

Without a word, he used whatever subconscious control he had over the damn thing to make it wrap around his leg to keep it away from their awful hands.

"Damn, did you see its face?!" someone whistled. "Must not have liked that."

"The same way you wouldn't like getting stabbed in the spine," Xaphile sourly growled, not turning around. "It fucking hurts, you asshole."

A sharp blow sent his head flying forward.

"Hold your tongue," the man behind him barked. "Filth such as yourself has no business talking to a human."

"Human or not," Xaphile retorted quietly, defiantly lifting his head and walking with his shoulders squared. "I've never done anything to deserve how you people are treating me."

Another, much heavier blow, smashed into the back of his skull.

"Silence, beast, lest I cut your tongue out of your head! Don't make me bloody my sword so early in the morning."

"Try sticking anything sharp in my mouth," Xaphile muttered, warily observing the weapon at his side, "and I'll bite your nasty fingers off."

When they rounded a corner and he found himself staring at what looked to be the entire village population, he was a little taken aback. Even so, he kept his head held high and ignored the looks they gave him, walking towards the post he'd been tied to ages ago.

So, he silently murmured. I guess... this is where it's gonna happen, huh?

He knew it instinctively.

Roughly gripping his hair, the man holding the leash violently forced him down on his knees and tied him to the post by wrapping a rope around it and pinning his body against the wood by the neck.

The position was painful and awkward on his body since his arms had been tied behind him.

He merely closed his eyes, going somewhere else inside his head before anything painful could happen.