Chapter 63: Test of Honor

Chapter Sixty-Three: Test of Honor

The rest of the afternoon passed by rather smoothly. At some point, they ate some wild fruit from the silver trees, and Xaphile sat with Vrael for a few minutes to discuss everything.

After eating, he returned to sitting with Bonks while they gave him a few basic lessons in male etiquette. There were certain ways to address others, which he pointedly filed away in his memory, but after a time, he decided to ask a question that had been nagging at him.

"Hey, not to interrupt," he muttered, making Bonks fall silent, "but why exactly do your people refer to each other as Vadil?"

"Formal respect," Klynn explained. "We commonly refer to males as Vadil and females as Efamil since names are generally something only those who are friendly with each other may use. The plurals are Vadilie and Efamilie."

Oh, he silently muttered. That makes sense.

Near sundown, Krishna entered the clearing... and everyone stood up. Xaphile turned when she strode up to him and set a hand on his arm.

"Come with me, Vadil," Krishna said. "The Grand Mother is to make her announcement soon, and you need to be there."

Bonks clasped his hands behind his back and Klynn's eyes glinted.

"I heard that today's speech will be exciting," Druthmar purred, looking at Krishna's hair with a slow smile. "Unlike yesterday's."

Krishna nodded, face solemn.

"It is, mostly," she murmured, leading Xaphile over to her squirrel. "Every Vadil here will be attending. You know the way."

When she mounted the furry creature and helped Xaphile up, he glanced at Vrael.

"What about my... servant?" he inquired. "Will he be coming?"

She looked at him with a smirk before turning to Bonks.

"Would you please guide our guest's mortal to the meeting point?" she inquired. "It is important."

"Of course," Bonks cheerfully replied, flashing her a dazzling smile. "I would be honored."

"Let us be off," Krishna grunted, mushing her steed into motion. "We will have to dismount before arrival, but our feet will serve us well."

Xaphile took that remark silently.

He sighed as they rode through the silver forests... the sensation of being on a giant squirrel was oddly soothing. He felt safe, even though he shouldn't have by any stretch or measure.

After about seven minutes, Krishna's steed came to a halt and she dismounted, so he carefully did the same, then she took his hand and pulled him through the forest on foot.

To his surprise, she actually had to push her way into a huge crowd just beyond the trees ahead of them.

The forests had been filled with male and female Primordial Sprites alike, blonde heads and golden lion tails rippling like the sea as they parted in Krishna's wake.

Many looked at her with adoration, and many more looked at him in dumbfounded curiosity and awe as they came within a few meters of a huge tree standing in the center of the throng.

It was a beautiful plant.

Supple wood and fragrant pink cherry blossoms that seemed to glow with energy and life.

Sitting on one of its branches was none other than Zelphira herself.

Somehow, her pale eyes managed to find his, and she smiled at him sadly.