Chapter 97: Voice

Chapter Ninety-Seven: Voice

The flight back to the island was just as jarring as the first.

After he landed, Vordt roughly dropped Xaphile on his feet with a curt instruction to get some rest, and had then promptly taken to the skies once again. The moon was out and the stars were brilliant, but all Xaphile could really think about was the story Vordt had told him.

About his father on Atlas, and the events that had led to where they were.

His past on this world, obscure as it was, seemingly held a strange amount of depth.

Not only that, but the fact that he was apparently related to Kings and Queens was strange.

It didn't feel real.

With a sigh, he ran a hand through his matted hair, but when he found that his tresses were oily and pretty much plastered against his skull, his normally vacant-eyed expression quickly turned into one of disgust.

"Ew..." he muttered, instantly dropping his arm and looking down at himself. "Dude, gross."

Feeling as if he would break out into hives, he tiredly jogged to the hot springs and shed his pantaloons. As he was folding them up, he glanced at the small tear in the fabric and sighed, feeling a bit guilty. Amelia hadn't noticed the damage done to them yet, but he knew he should tell her.

He felt really bad about it, considering they had been a gift, but he hoped she would understand. Considering Ella had skinned her knee, there hadn't really been time to go looking for something to staunch her bleeding since she was literally just as fragile as she'd been on earth.

Grimacing at the soreness in his body and the exhaustion in his limbs, he waded into the springs and ducked under the water. Holding his breath, he simply sat there beneath the heated surface, letting his hair rinse itself out. He could feel his feathers being saturated with water.

It was a strange sensation, but not really dislikable.

When his lungs began to burn, he rose, pushing his hair back so it wouldn't fall forward and cover his face.' For a long time, he simply stood there with his eyes closed and his head tilted back, breathing deeply and evenly. It was actually a blessing that there was hot water nearby since he could soak almost as if it were a bath. It helped lessen the stress on his muscles.

He dunked himself again, then slicked his hair back.

When he turned slightly, he noticed his hair had gotten longer since he'd woken up in the forest. Either that, or it really was longer than it had been back on earth, but he couldn't say for certain since a lot of crap had been going on. The last thing he'd been paying attention to was his hair.

Curious, he grabbed a fistful of it near the ends and straightened it out.

To his surprise, it actually was longer than he remembered it being. The last time he'd actually paid it any attention, it had been just below his waist, but now it hung well past his hips.

He was actually kind of glad since he was proud of his hair.

It was healthy and thick despite the length, and he had no visible split ends.

"I should take more care of it," he sighed, cracking his back with a sigh. "I haven't been braiding it back like I used to, so it might end up getting knots and snarls if I'm not careful."

Just as he was about to get out of the springs, he heard someone let out a small gasp.

Jumping in surprise, he turned and looked at the rocks on the shore, but didn't see anyone.