Chapter 174: The Blessing

Chapter One Hundred and Seventy-Four: The Blessing

Over the next few days, the village was in a flurry of activity. 

People were literally outside sweeping the streets and trying their hardest to make Chisago look somewhat presentable for the coming rulers, but even Ella knew that they couldn't do much to repair several years' worth of damage within only a few weeks. 

Still, it emboldened her to see everyone eagerly doing their parts.

The Sysh brothers had made a habit of perching on the rooftops when they weren't aiding the citizens of her village with tasks that required actual strength, and although they'd been invited to stay with several people from town, they'd chosen to sleep outside instead.

Ella didn't really know where, but they seemed to have made themselves at home.

Ninira and Bruno had been welcomed into Marty Crawford's household with open arms, and after about a day, their children had become quite close with Kirby. She'd seen Windal and the little brunette playing with their respective toys together like most little kids were prone to.

Gus had pretty much vanished, busy with who knew what, and Xaphile spent most of his time indoors with his little brother.

She'd also spoken with the prisoners who had been locked up in one of the four jail cells that lined the very back of the barracks, but had made no progress with either one of them about the king's plans.

All there was to do at this point was wait.

Wait for her friends to come to Nimika, wait to be reunited, and wait for redemption, and love, and freedom. Ella looked around as she walked through the streets, thinking of the one person who hadn't so much as looked at her since she'd given that speech five days ago.

Vordt.

She'd asked Xaphile about him, but he hadn't been able to tell her anything useful since his uncle had apparently been spending every waking moment out of the house and only returned when he was tired enough to sleep.

They hadn't been talking at all, apparently, and that's why she was currently looking for him.

She'd searched high and low for about three hours, but she hadn't seen so much as a glimpse of his tail. A part of her wondered if he was outside of the wall, which would have made far more sense due to the fact that he hated being around mortals, but she was reluctant to leave by herself so she eventually decided to wait outside Amelia's home until he returned.

It was nearly nightfall when she heard the telltale beat of his wings, but she only looked up when he landed on the cobblestone, meeting his eyes.

He seemed somewhat surprised and even more annoyed by the sight of her, but instead of saying anything, she stepped away from the wall and gestured with her head for him to follow her before sweeping off.

A short glance later revealed that he was indeed following.

She led him to a place that she hadn't shared with anyone, a place that she'd always retreated to whenever she'd felt like she wanted to cry: the rooftop overlooking Amelia's home.

She patted the tile beside her and looked up at him expectantly, but when he sat down, he did so with a very careful, guarded expression. She leaned back, then, staring up at the sky with a solemn feeling in her stomach.

"Why have you asked for my company?" he eventually growled. "After hearing what you had to say about me a few days ago, I'm sure your feelings are already quite--"