Chapter 38: Breaking Point

Chapter Thirty-Eight: Breaking Point

While Amelia bought books and a generous amount of bizarre-looking trinkets at a magic shop, Xaphile waited outside, keeping his eyes fixed on the bridges.

Disgruntled didn't even begin to cover his mood. They had gone from place to place, buying things, and although she'd tried to talk to him, she'd quickly noticed his bad temper while they'd been shopping.

When she finally left the shop with armfuls of stuff, he took the parcels she held out without question, keeping his eyes trained on the stone walkways.

He and Amelia then headed back towards Martin's inn, walking in total silence for more than a few minutes. She glanced up at the position of the sun with hesitant eyes from behind her half-moon glasses.

"We can order supper once we make it back," she finally said. "I've heard that Martin's helper is a wonderful cook, and all this walking has made me hungry."

Xaphile wasn't hungry at all, just tired with sore feet and a rankled sense of solidarity.

"Yeah," he said tonelessly. "Me, too."

Amelia frowned at him.

Skipping a few steps ahead, she turned around and looked up at him, blocking his path.

He halted.

"You've been acting... strange," she murmured. "Did I do something to upset you?"

Well, you ignored me completely after making an important promise, he silently muttered, but no, that's not why I'm upset.

"Of course not," he said aloud, giving her a deadpan expression. "I'm just tired, that's all."

"I'm not entirely sure I believe you," she said slowly. "You sound fairly upset right now."

"Really," he sighed, forcing a strained smile. "I'm fine."

Those crystal blue eyes stared him down for almost half a minute before she turned around and started to walk again.

The others were gone from the table once they headed back into the tavern, and upon returning to their room, it was discovered that they weren't there either, which was fine by him since he really didn't want to see Ella after what had happened earlier.

Once he'd helped Amelia pack her new belongings away, the two of them walked downstairs and ordered themselves some food before taking a seat.

After it arrived, Xaphile picked at it without much appetite, but this wasn't lost on the girl sitting across from him.

"Are you truly okay?" she asked, making his eyes flick to look at her. "Please be honest with me."

His hand paused, and for a long moment, he gazed at her without blinking, reluctantly deciding he could at least address one of the problems he was dealing with.

"No, I'm not," he admitted, refusing to break eye contact. "Tell me, is it normal for Ella to be able to read other people's minds?"

Amelia did a double take, but her expression clearly said 'Are you crazy?!'

"What are you asking?" she demanded in a serious tone of voice. "Phil, what's... happened?"

"I learned earlier today that Ella can hear my thoughts," he explained, "and that she's apparently been able to hear them since the day she first forced a kiss on me."

Amelia's eyes flashed and her mouth dropped open.

"You... are you jesting?" she whispered, biting her lip. "Well, I mean... are you sure it's a problem?"