Chapter 171: Augur

Chapter One Hundred and Seventy-One: Augur

"We're here," Ella said, unlocking the door to Amelia's home. "You three go on inside and make yourselves at home. Xaphile, come find me at Drake's tavern once you wake up. I want you and your brother there with me when I make my announcement."

"Okay."

"Ah, and after that we'll go get you some food supplies," she said, fiddling with something beneath her cloak and pulling a pouch of coins out into the open. "Here, take this. You can shop in the market if you have need of the basic things, such as toiletries and soap."

Xaphile took the coins with a grateful nod.

"Thank you," he said, watching as she pocketed the key to the house. "I really appreciate it."

"You're welcome," she said, then turned to go, which surprised him. "I'll speak with you later."

"W-wait!" he stammered; she paused mid-step and swiveled to look at him from over her shoulder with a couple of blinks.

"What is it?"

"Well," he swallowed hard, "I... I need to talk to you, later, when you have free time."

His face flamed since he knew his uncle was looking at him with a scrutinizing gaze.

"About what?" she asked. "Is something amiss?"

"No, and... well, uh, I don't exactly have my thoughts completely together," he awkwardly mumbled, but when she scowled a familiar scowl, he floundered, "b-but, I just... I wanted you to know that I'll need to speak with you at some point. I-I'll tell you more once I know what it is I want to say, all right?"

She stared at him.

"Okay," she said slowly, giving him a nod. "Well, once you've figured out what it is you wish to talk to me about, you know where I'll be."

She turned on her heel, cloak billowing behind her as she swept off down the street and out of sight without another word.

Once she was gone, Xaphile shifted Adariel's weight and sighed, grasping the doorknob and opening the entrance to Amelia's home.

The moment he walked in, he was assaulted by the smell of dry, stagnant air. It was calming and familiar even if it did make his nose feel a bit itchy.

Vordt followed him inside, peering around with eyes that missed nothing.

"So this is the abode of the halfling, Amelia," he muttered stoically. "It definitely suits her."

"More like she suits it," Xaphile chuckled, shaking his head; with a sigh, he walked past the dining room table and traipsed down the hall towards the old room he'd been given so long ago; he opened the door, being careful not to wake his little brother up. 

Making his way forward, he looked down at the old bed and pillowcase.

Cautiously lifting a foot, he kicked the mattress, but he was relieved since nothing came flying up from it, no clouds of debris or dust. Pulling back the covers, he set his sibling down and got him situated near the wall before tucking him in and smoothing his hair aside.

He stroked the sleeping kid's cheek with his thumb.

He was looking much healthier.

He had color in his cheeks, and although he was still bone thin, he seemed happier.