Chapter 134: The Rescue Mission

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Four: The Rescue Mission

"All right," Ella whispered anxiously, hands writhing and fidgeting in her lap as they rocked and bounced across the cobblestone streets. "Does everyone remember what to do?" 

"I dunno. Do we?" Vordt sarcastically asked, rolling his eyes.  "We only went over this a hundred times within the last ten minutes."

"Repeat it once more," Ella hissed, looking at the small, plush compartment they were sitting in. After heading down to the lobby of the hotel, they had rented a plush horse-drawn carriage with the money that she'd left in the care of the hotel's doorman, Victor. 

They were currently on their way to the castle, and similarly, there were many other carriages ahead of them and behind them. The cobblestone streets were packed with people all heading to the same place, and that was precisely why her nerves were so on edge. 

She was finally beginning to realize just how difficult this was going to be.

"Well?" she urged, glancing at each of them. "Team one and two, speak respectively!"

"We follow you in, keep in sight of you at all times, and do not approach each other," Vrael said in a worried voice, swallowing hard. "Pretty simple if you ask me."

"And team two?" Ella pressed, glancing at Xaphile, Vordt, and Amelia. "Well?"

"Get in, find Adariel without getting caught, heal him if necessary, and get the fuck out," Xaphile said quietly, shoulders tense; she was sure that if his tail were visible, it would be bristling and fluffed out in agitation. She was a little alarmed to realize that she actually missed seeing it, as well as his other odd features. 

They've grown on me, she mentally scoffed, lowering her eyes. I can't believe it. When did I even start missing those strange features of his...?

His face suddenly twitched and he looked away, flushing crimson.

He ran his invisible claws through his hair.

I heard that.

Ella's head flew up in horror and she gawked at him, but he still wasn't looking at her. An embarrassed blush swept through her and she scowled. 

"Keep in constant contact with me," Ella informed him, fighting through the awkwardness. "You have to. If something goes wrong, you need to warn me about the trouble."

"We will," Amelia finally sighed, leaning forward and clasping her writhing hands. "Calm yourself... I can see how worried you are. I understand, but we need you to be calm."

Ella knew that she was right, but her heart flew up her throat regardless when the carriage stopped and the open gates of the castle loomed before the window.

She could see people walking up the enormous white stone steps towards the giant doors and the sound of distant music filled the air.

She shivered, feeling anxious.

"Duke McCarthy's castle is enormous," she muttered, trying to hide her fears. "Can we really do this separately?"

"We have to," Amelia said softly, patting her hand. "It's too late to turn back. We're so close to finding Adariel. Find your courage and turn yourself back into the fierce warrior I know."

Ella gave her a strange look.

"I won't be fighting in here," she said slowly. "I'm supposed to act like a proper lady tonight."

"True, but the path to womanhood is a battle of another sort," Amelia chided, looking up at the castle when the coachman opened the doors. "You're a warrior, but first and foremost, you're a woman, which means you'll need to fight hard to pull off what we're trying to do, even if the fight isn't violent."