Chapter 130: Dynah, The Dukedom's Capital

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty: Dynah, The Dukedom's Capital

Being miserably ill and uncomfortably hot was an unpleasant business, and the unpleasantness only tended to increase when the person was sick, hot, scared, and exerting themselves out in muggy, humid, definitively summery weather with a ton of winter-based clothes on.

After their extreme fit of puking had finally ended, Xaphile and the others had taken another good ten minutes to rest before deciding to find another inn. They needed to prepare for the grand ball or whatever it was they'd been invited to, and they had very little time to do so.

Especially since there was a very strong possibility that this was some sort of trap or set-up.

Still, Xaphile couldn't even marvel at the shining city of Dynah because of his discomfort.
There were tons of people walking to and fro: people with shopping carts were selling fruits, swords, jewelry, and a myriad of other things. Children were playing in the streets, dogs were barking, and women wearing bonnets were hanging up wet laundry.

Several people cast them curious glances as they walked, but nobody's stares lingered too long.

Xaphile followed Ella and the others through the city, all of them still feeling a bit queasy, but it was more bearable to be with like-minded company. It was only when Ella led them through an extremely beautiful and clean part of Dynah that Amelia's footsteps faltered.

"Where are we going?" she asked. "I thought we were looking for an inn."

"We are," Ella grumbled back, making her way past a group of women wearing colorful but much-too frilly gowns with odd bumps in the rear. Xaphile stared at the plumed hats they were wearing on their heads, instantly reminded of the ugly step sisters in the classic film Cinderella.

"Dude," he muttered, eyeing the gossiping women as they passed, "seriously?"

"What?" Sinmir asked, glancing back at him. "Something wrong?"

Xaphile couldn't immediately answer, entranced as he was by the sight of the gowns that made the women's abnormally bouncing butts look way larger than they should have. His eyes bugged and he shook his head, feeling more than a little thrown off.

"Is that fashion around here?" he asked, jerking his thumb over his shoulder. "Those dresses are revolting, Sinmir! Please tell me people don't dress like that regularly."

Sinmir followed his thumb, then smirked, rolling his eyes.

"Aye, unfortunately, that's a very common style for most noblewomen," he chuckled darkly. "I've seen gowns like that my whole life while growing up in Adanac. Particularly during parties."

"And that is precisely why I don't dress like a noblewoman," Ella instantly called back, not even bothering to turn around. "People are likely trying to show off their gowns for the ball the Grand Duke is throwing tomorrow. It's pathetic, really."

"You'll be dressing up, too, don't forget," Amelia trilled, making Ella sigh. "You can't show up to a party of this scale without something that can match the attire of those around you."

"I already know what I'm wearing," Ella instantly shot back. "Of the dresses you ordered when we stopped back in Ordin, I've deemed only one of them suitable enough for someone like me."

"Oh, but we mustn't forget cosmetics," Amelia murmured, furrowing her brows. "Shoot... I don't think I brought any or even bought any."

"I can go as I am," Ella snapped. "I don't need to put anything on my face to enhance my looks!"