Chapter 157: Demesne of a Future King

Chapter One Hundred and Fifty Seven: Demesne of a Future King

It was decided.

Amelia hated everything to do with teleportation magic.

Eyes squeezed shut against the flipping motions, she clung to her blindfolded horse for dear life and struggled to keep her focus, long brown braids billowing around her like ropes as she, Sinmir, and Vrael flew through the tumbling blindness towards Adanac. 

Vrael was in hysterics, however, and he couldn't seem to stop screaming. Sinmir had seemingly gotten used to the sensation of teleportation... at the very least, he was quiet about it.

"I HATE THIS!" Vrael screeched, making her flinch. "I HATE THIS SO MUCH!"

"Calm down, Vrael!" Amelia soothingly called, stomach flipping as the world returned to them with a flash. She let out a sigh of relief when the weightless feeling in her stomach dissolved and her horse was once again standing on solid ground. "See? We're already in Adanac."

Just as she said it, the warm air that had traveled with them dispersed.

And it was suddenly winter.

She gasped, shivering for a moment, then muttered an incantation and let herself focus to trigger her pyromancy magic. Warm air began to radiate from her body in waves of blessed relief, and she sighed, feeling a little better.

"Is it really over?" Vrael tentatively asked, opening one reddish brown eye before letting out a disgruntled sigh of relief and opening the other, whole body sagging. "Thank Asgrog."

Amelia blinked, realizing that the moment they'd jumped through the portal, the illusion magic had worn off, so his hair was back to being silver and his ears were on full display. 

"Actually, you should be thanking me," she tartly pointed out, removing the enchantment she'd placed upon their steeds before leaving to keep them calm. "We never would have made it here at all if it wasn't for my magic, you know."

She busied herself with checking her saddlebags, making sure that everything was in order.

"Indeed," Vrael said, then paused for a long moment. "Oi... Sinmir, are you all right?"

Amelia cast a quick glance at the blonde man when there was no immediate reply.

His bearded face had been cast into a look of dazed shock. His head slowly swiveled back and forth, taking everything in, before those eyes of his settled on something in the distance and lit up with a relieved, joyful glitter.

"Home," he whispered thickly. "I'm really home. Amelia, you're unlike any mage I've ever seen... even my father's court wizards couldn't pull off what you just did."

"Eh?!" she squawked, instantly feeling flustered. "Surely that's just a jape? No, no, no, there are many mages who are far more talented than I!"

"I beg to differ," Sinmir snorted. "Within mere seconds, a journey that should have taken several fortnights to traverse was made through a teleportation spell. You just brought all three of us from the southern eastern portion of Aerika to Otnorot. You brought me home."

Amelia turned her head to see him breathing deeply, muscled chest expanding as he took in the crisp cold air all around. He let it loose with a great sigh, and a cloud of mist escaped his lips. His wild blonde hair drifted in the icy breeze from where it hung beneath his horned helm.

His silver eyes gleamed dimly behind the metal before fluttering shut, cornflower blonde eyelashes hiding the sudden moisture within them. When he let out a soft laugh, she  turned to see what it was he'd been looking at...