Chapter 143: Healing Hands

Chapter One Hundred and Forty-Three: Healing Hands

Light stung Ella's eyes and she blinked up at the shadows flying across her face before squeezing her eyes shut again. Her ears, as if cotton were being pulled out of them, went from being muted and slightly muffled to full of rushing air, alerting her to the sound of high-pitched crying.

Ella moaned, shivering as her leg pulsed and throbbed, but a cooling sensation relieved it.

"Phil, she's waking up," Vrael whispered.

His voice made her thoughts flee and become replaced by confusion; her temples felt fuzzy, like her brain was made of cotton.

"Wuzzappenin'?" she mumbled, putting a hand over her eyes.

A snort she recognized as Vordt's sounded out like cannon fire, breaking her attention.

"Exactly what I was expecting, that's what," he growled. "This is why male primordial faeries are not allowed to heal other living creatures. This is why it is dangerous."

"What?" Ella croaked. "What happened to me?"

"I'm rather curious about that, too," Gus hissed. "What did that faery you mentioned do to her?!"

"He healed her using true healing magic instead of the simpler mimic magic," Vordt grunted. "If any of our kind, even females, are emotionally unbalanced when they use true healing, the spell will unravel and reverse itself after a time, reinflicting the damages of the original wound."

Ella recalled his reluctant attitude to heal Xaphile after Sinmir's sword had cleaved his shoulder.

"Is that why?" she rasped, eyes still shut against the pain in her head. "You were extremely hesitant to heal Xaphile after Sinmir lost control of himself. Was that the reason why?"

"Yes," Vordt said simply. "I had to knock him unconscious so I wouldn't make that mistake. The spell also affected you because you were holding onto him at the time, but I failed to see the willpower my nephew has even when he's unconscious. He clung to you even in sleep."

"Oh..."

"How, and why, does it unravel?" Amelia asked, perplexed. "And what does emotion have to do with the stability of the magic?! Once a wound is healed, shouldn't it stay healed?"

Vordt looked at her.

"You mean to tell me," he said slowly, face dark, "that you don't know how healing magic really works?"

"Of course," Amelia prompted, lifting a finger. "Healing magic is stronger based on the level intent, and as the spell touches any sort of wound, the flesh is knit back together. It doesn't affect serious injuries or afflictions, however, like broken bones or diseases and illnesses."

Vordt's face looked menacing.

"How does the magic knit the flesh together?" Vordt hissed. "Our kind taught mortals a very simplified version of our healing magic, but it works in the same way as true healing."

Amelia seemed perplexed.

"I had always assumed that the magical discharge spread out through injuries and sped up the healing process," she said. "Isn't that how it works."

"No," Vordt spat, incensed. "You've got it completely backwards! Healing magic doesn't speed up a healing process, it reverses the damage that's been done to something."

Amelia frowned... then she went still.

"Reverse?" she whispered. "You can't mean... there's no way!"