Chapter 164: Nightmare Scenario

Chapter One Hundred and Sixty-Four: Nightmare Scenario

The trek to the mountain pass was long.

Not much was really said between anyone, aside from random questions from the Sysh brothers here and there, and some playful bantering and muffled laughter amongst themselves.

Xaphile felt a little guilty since the five of them were traveling on foot while he, Ella, Gus, Vordt, and Adariel rode on horses, but they didn't seem to mind, and in fact, they all took the opportunity to practice their flying.

Vordt eyed them from his spot behind Ella, casting occasional glances at Bonks and Kesh in particular, but he said nothing.

After realizing just how exhausted the faery had been upon his return, Ella had offered to let him ride on the back of her horse, and much to everyone's surprise, he'd accepted it

It was well past nightfall by the time they made it to the turn off leading towards Ordin.

Adariel ended up falling asleep against his chest, Gus had dozed off in his saddle, and while the Sysh brothers still seemed to be fairly energetic, there was far less bantering. It wasn't until Ella squeaked that Xaphile turned his attention away from the mountain path.

His brows instantly rose.

Vordt's head had bonelessly lolled forward and his cheek was now cushioned on the top of her skull. Ella glanced at Xaphile incredulously out of the corner of her eyes, since the horned adult was snoring softly, grumpy face relaxed. Up until then, he'd forced himself to stay awake.

Looks like the exhaustion took its toll, he noted, letting out a sigh. Sorry, Ella...

It's nothing to be sorry for, she said silently, making him blink. I just wasn't expecting him to fall on me like that. His movements caught me off guard, but now that I know he's asleep, I'll be fine.

Thanks. I'm glad he's finally asleep, Xaphile silently countered, shrugging. You saw how tired he was, and I could clearly feel his exhaustion. He needs to rest.

Ella nodded, then cast him a tentative look.

You should rest, too, she gently thought at him. We all went through a lot today, and I'm sure what happened probably wore you out.

"No," he said aloud, shaking his head. "If anything, it woke me up. I'm not tired in the slightest, and I'm not going to sleep. You were snatched away by a griffin and I only closed my eyes for a few minutes. I'm not taking another chance. What if something worse happens?"

Ella gave a sigh.

"If that's what you want, so be it," she murmured, "but don't wear yourself out. We need to be strong and alert in case we're attacked."

He nodded, tightening his arms around his little brother.

Throughout the night, the air grew chillier and chillier, but not to the point where it required warmer clothing. At least, not for him or any of the others who'd initially set out; he worried about the Sysh brothers, since they weren't wearing anything but loincloths.

Walking into a much colder climate with barbarian-esque clothing wouldn't be pleasant for them, since he could clearly remember the first time he'd appeared in the Syl mountains. He hoped that there wasn't much snow, and if there was, that they could come up with a solution.

Regardless, he was eager to see Bruno and Ninira.

Throughout the night, he wondered about what he would say to them, and how he would explain why Vrael wasn't with them. He even went as far as imagining how they'd react once they were told they'd been exonerated from harm thanks to Sinmir's generous actions.