Chapter 158: Sinmir's Ulterior Motive

Chapter One Hundred and Fifty Eight: Sinmir's Ulterior Motive

Vrael felt as if he'd walked into a dream as he was pulled up the plush carpeted staircase and down a carpeted hall; he blankly allowed himself to be pulled around countless corners, up more flights of stairs, and through more grand hallways with gorgeous furniture.

Three maids and three butlers stood waiting in the last hall, but when the group turned and saw them approaching, they all scrambled forward with excited expressions. The woman leading him and Amelia stopped in front of them, a small smile playing across her wrinkled face. 

"Mistress Maud!" one of the girls squealed, clutching the woman's dress. "Is it true?! Has Lord Sinmir really returned to the castle?"

"Indeed," Maud sniffed, then gave all of them a look. "What's more, he's returned with important political guests from the neighboring country,  Aerika. They all seem to have been through quite a long journey and need a bit of polishing up, so I would like you to do so."

"At once, Ma'am," a butler with dark brown hair said with a slight bow. "Any other orders?" 

"Indeed, Claes," Maud said softly. "They both require clothes for a meeting with King Grinwald." 

When he bowed again, Maud let go of them and Amelia was led into a room by the maids while Vrael was pulled into a beautiful bedroom by the butlers. Before he could so much as blink, one of the men began to remove his clothing with gentle fingers. 

Vrael merely stood in place and looked around, dazed.

"This castle is awe-inspiring," he murmured, lifting his arms as his shirt was removed. "You all must love working here."

"Indeed we do," a very dark-skinned man chuckled, digging through several drawers for what he assumed was clothing. "How did you meet Lord Sinmir? You are a halfling, are you not?"

"Yes, I am," Vrael sighed, shaking his head. "I met him just outside of the city of Ordin in Aerika. He was already traveling with a few friends of mine when I was introduced, but since then, we've become quite close. I think of him as one of my best friends since I'm under his protection."

All three butlers paused at the same time.

"Under his protection?" the tallest asked, brown eyes glinting beneath the shock of his sandy blonde hair. "Why would you need it if you are a political guest from Aerika?"

"It's a very long and complicated series of explanations," Vrael muttered. "Things are very wrong in Aerika right now. I'm not sure if I should talk about it until we've spoken to King Grinwald."

"Ah, that is understandable," the dark-skinned man said, watching as he was stripped down to his undergarments. "What is your name, young master?"

Vrael shuddered, ears sagging.

"Just call me Vrael," he mumbled, feeling awkward. "Not young master."

"As you wish, Vrael," he said; then he gestured at himself. "My name is Walt, and they," he gestured to the blonde and brunette, who bowed with broad smiles, "are Kai and Claes. We've been assigned to you for the duration of your stay at the castle, so if you have need of anything at all, just tell us and it shall be done." 

Vrael nodded, letting loose a sigh.

At least, until a very faint, muted, distant roar began to reverberate through the room. Everyone froze, Vrael included, as the floor of the castle shivered for a moment.

"What was that?!" Vrael hissed, hair standing on end. "That sounded like a demon of some sort!"

Walt swallowed hard, eyes raised towards the ceiling with anxiety on his face.