Chapter 46: A Father's Decision

Chapter Forty-Six: A Father's Decision

Time passed in a whirl.

Before Vrael even realized it, night had fallen and his family had all eaten supper, but Xaphile still hadn't shown his face and Ella remained asleep in front of the fireplace.

After his father had draped a blanket over her and tucked a pillow beneath her head so she wouldn't be uncomfortable, his family had gathered around in the living area, clamoring for Amelia to tell them stories of her travels and home. The brunette seemed to have a very sweet disposition since she happily did so.

Vrael could only sit back and watch as she chatted with his mother about Ella's role back in the crumbling city of Chisago.

He listened with furrowed brows as Amelia told them about her profession as a town healer and herbalist... about their friend, Gus, and about her proficiency with magic.

How she was teaching Phil to use his own magic.

He sat off at a distance, barely paying attention to it and feeling grim, since he couldn't stop glancing at Ella.

That's the girl I saw, he thought, jaw tight with discomfort. That's the horrid girl I saw in his memories when we became sworn siblings... the one who scarred and tortured him.

He cast a quick glance at his parents to see them fully immersed in conversation with Amelia, then, as inconspicuously as possible, he stood up with a casual stretch and padded off down the hall towards the guest room. He peered inside.

Xaphile was sitting up on the bed with his back against the wall, eyes closed.

He knocked.

"You awake?" he quietly inquired. "I need to talk to you."

Xaphile slowly open his eyes.

"Sure, go ahead."

Vrael nodded and stepped inside the room, flopping down on the bed with a sigh. For a long moment, he didn't say anything... but then, he turned and looked Xaphile dead in the eyes.

"Are you... going to be leaving with them?" he asked, rubbing the back of his neck. "Tomorrow?"

Xaphile closed his eyes.

"Yeah," he muttered. "I am."

Vrael scowled and leaned forward, glaring at the floor with a grim expression.

"What if... my family offered to let you stay here? With us?" he asked in a low voice "Would you... reconsider?"

Xaphile gave him a startled look.

"What?" he rasped. "Where are you going with this?"

"You know where I'm going with this," Vrael retorted, giving him a loaded stare. "The same girl who tortured you is sitting in my family's living room. And after what I saw earlier, I don't like the idea of letting you go with them. She hit you in the face with no hesitation, Phil. Drunk or not, that isn't okay."

"I don't have a choice," Xaphile croaked. "The reason she even bothered traveling across this country was for my sake."

Vrael's face screwed up, but he sighed and crawled up so he was sitting next to him.