「013」

0 1 3

RAIN

══════↯══════

I grab a chair and place it right next to my bed where Yoonbyul was resting. I take a seat and took a deep breath. I don't want to just ask her about her medicine so casually. It's not like it's such a casual thing to ask. What excuse can I give? I try to make something up, but I end up just asking her.

"Yoonbyul, I was wondering... about your medicine..."

Yoonbyul sat up on the bed and took off the towel that was on her head.

"I knew you were going to ask me something about it. You did find it for me after all," Yoonbyul said as she grabbed her medicine case.

"I didn't want to be nosey or anything, but I ended searching up what immunosuppressants meant. And after I found out, I was surprised."

"Who wouldn't be?" smiled Yoonbyul.

"So, you really had an organ transplant in your life? You've been through a dangerous surgery?"

I turn my chair to face Yoonbyul. She stares at me and smiles again.

"Ne. Indeed I have."

"Is it weird to ask which organ? I'm so sorry if this offends you somehow. I'm not used to asking these sorts of questions."

"Don't worry about it. Maybe this is the time I should tell you some things. It may answer your question on why I didn't want to be friends with you."

I almost forgot that Yoonbyul and I are not officially friends yet. I really hope I get some answers. I really want to hear her story.

"Here's a secret Jungkook. My unni is here with me," said Yoonbyul casually.

I was confused, she can't be talking about her actual unni being here. Unless I'm hallucinating- maybe she is here. Ugh what am I thinking? Yoonbyul suddenly pointed at her chest, where her heart was. That was when I realized what she meant.

"You're saying that, you had a heart transplant!?"

"Mhm," Yoonbyul nodded with no display of wavering, "My unni is where my heart is."

It took me some time to truly gather my thoughts and the information Yoonbyul was giving me. Yoonbyul is telling me that her unni is where her heart is and that she has had a heart transplant. This concludes that the heart that she received from her heart transplant surgery is her unni's. If it's her unni's, then doesn't that mean her unni passed away?

━━━━━━━━━

The thick colour of a rainy day in Seoul began to roll in. The gray city, gray buildings, gray roads, gray rain. I look out the window, it's cloudy and the air is clear with a light gray background. I stare at every raindrop that hits the window. I smile, it's the best background music, when the rain falls from the sky and hits the ground. As the rain fell, I continued to listen to Yoonbyul's story.

"I'm so sorry to hear that your unni passed away Yoonbyul. My condolences to you and your family," I said while giving a light bow of respect.

"Thank you Jungkook. If only my family could hear that from you," Yoonbyul clutched onto her medicine case with a tight grip.

Somehow I feel like I should pity her for her loss, but that's not a good thing to do. The best thing I could possibly help her with is comforting her and listening to her. And this was the moment when I realized not everyone's life is perfect.