Prologue

Author's Note: Spoilers for The Force Awakens!

Y/n's POV
"Welcome to the Jedi Order, y/n," my master, Luke Skywalker said.

When I was first accepted as a Jedi knight, I was young: fifteen years old to be exact. Master Skywalker was much younger then.

I had started Jedi training at age nine. Over the years, I moved up the ranks and made my blue saber under the Jedi apprenticeship. Finally, at fifteen, I became an official Jedi Knight.

Later, when I returned home from a year's training, I found my parents dead, sprawled across the cold floor of my house with blaster wounds in their chests. They were most definitely from stormtroopers.

I felt like my parents' death was my fault. I hadn't been there for them.

The stormtroopers had come looking for me because I support the resistance. And when they couldn't find me, they killed my parents.

Tears streaming down my face, I panicked and ran back to Master Skywalker in the nearby temple.

Master Skywalker took me in and became like my adoptive father. This was both a blessing and a curse. While living at the Jedi temple, I was able to train more consistently. But often my training and meditation suffered because I dwelled on the loss of my parents.

Master Skywalker constantly reminded me not to be angry with those who killed my parents. I knew I couldn't let the dark side get the better of me.

When Master Skywalker disappeared, I was one of his last Jedi Knights. Unless you count Ben Solo, but that's another story.

At age eighteen I joined The Resistance and met General Leia and Han Solo, parents to my former Jedi peer Ben Solo.

I've been a mechanic and resident Jedi ever since. The Resistance has kept me hidden for ten years.

I just hope it can stay that way with all of the new recruits. You never know when we might pick up a spy.

Nowadays, I help to break in the new pilots. Things like uniform fittings, ship maintenance, general babysitting. Most of the time, they know not to mess with me.

But there's always that one . . . Like that Dameron guy.