Go Save The Galaxy

Two months later

In the morning, Poe and I went down into the command center where everyone was gathered around a hologram of Star Killer Base.

Poe helped me down the stairs and into the room. I was to the point where I couldn't see my feet.

People began cheering as we entered but didn't know why. I turned to look behind me thinking someone with a birthday or something was there.

"What's going on?" I asked Poe.

"I guess they're happy we're back," he said and kissed me sweetly.

The pilots cheered louder.

"They must've missed the Dameron Sitcom," Poe joked over the roar.

"I guess so," I said and took a seat next to Leia.

"Settle, settle—boys," Leia chided. "Thank you."

This was probably the most drama the pilots ever saw occurring on the ground.

I then felt an odd pain.
It's probably just the babies kicking again, I thought.

Leia began to explain Star Killer base.

As the minutes passed, the pain grew worse. I thought if I could maybe just stick out the meeting and not cause alarm . . .

"We need to disable the shields," Leia explained. "Only then can we destroy it. I don't know how we're going to—"

I nearly doubled over in pain and fell out of my chair. Poe rushed to my side and helped me up.

"Are you okay?" he asked hurriedly. "Y/n?"

"The b-baby," I stammered. Poe knew exactly what I meant. He took me by the hand and lead me up the stairs.

The twins had decided to come two weeks early. But, I knew this wasn't uncommon with multiples. There definitely was no room left for them to grow.

Once we were outside, Poe hoisted me into his arms and carried me bridal style once again to the med center.

"Are you okay?" he asked as we moved across the base. Why did the med bay have to be so far away?

As we entered, Poe set me down on a chair and ran to get a nurse.

"Really?" I whispered to my belly. "We're doing this now?" Another wave of pain confirmed my answer.

Poe returned with the nurse in tow. "Hey, hey," he said to me softly.

The nurse moved me to a room with a bed and began an examination in addition to checking my heartbeat and vitals. He then left to get something.

Poe's hand cupped the side of my face. "We'll get through this." He kissed my forehead and held my hand, his calloused thumb rubbing over the engagement ring.

"Well, you've definitely gone into labor," said the nurse upon his return. "Your water appears to have already broken and you're beginning to dilate. I need you to put on this hospital gown and we're going to get started."

I got changed, folding my stretched Jedi robes. As I came out of the bathroom and laid back down on the bed, Poe sat next to me on a nearby chair.

"I feel like a giant towel," I said.

Poe laughed. "You are beautiful as always," he said and put a hand over my swollen stomach. Just as he leaned down to kiss my belly an announcement came over the loud speaker.

"All pilots report to aircrafts. This is not a drill." The message repeated several times.

"Poe," I whispered worriedly.

He looked at me with sadness. I had never seen him so uneager to fly.

"Love, I—" he stared.

I cut him off. "Poe Dameron, you better have your orange jumpsuit ass back by the edge of this bed before your kid arrives," I said.

Poe looked at me, worried. "I promise, love. I promise," he said. Poe then looked down at my belly. "You better slow your roll," he said to the babies. "Wait for daddy."

Poe kissed me sweetly again and again, cupping my cheek now wet with anxious tears.

"Go save the galaxy," I said.

"I will," he said and turned, then turned back to me. "And I will keep you and our baby in my mind every second of it." And with that he ran off towards the hangars.

"He'll be back," I reassured myself. "He always is.