I'm On My Way

Poe's POV

The image of her crying face was still in my head. She was so nervous to give birth. I didn't want to leave her but I knew I had to. I always made sure I kissed Y/n as if it were the last time I saw her every time I went off on a mission because I knew it could be my last.

I hopped into my X-wing and took off. Star Killer Base was just a few systems away.

"Please don't be late, please don't be late," I whispered to myself.

I looked down at the picture of Y/n and I that I kept on my dashboard. The picture was taken just after we found out she was pregnant. I had my hand over her belly, smiling down at the small bump. She was smiling up at me. I loved her smile.

I only hoped that I could destroy this monstrosity called the First Order so I could be back in time for the delivery and raise a child without living in fear that a dark force could take them away.

I wanted to have a wedding with her. I wanted her to be safe, for our child to be safe.

There was so much on my mind I could barely focus on piloting the ship. The controls seems to blur together. I felt as if I was going through the motions. I lead my squadron and began darting through snowy mountains.

"Almost in range," I said over the headset. "Hit the target dead center as many runs as we can get."

"Approaching target," blue leader confirmed.

"Let's light it up!" I yelled. I hit the triggers as many times as my fingers would let me. We shot at the dark gray hexagon on the massive weapon as many times as we could get.

My squadron began to follow me as I circled back around.

"Direct hit!" one pilot laughed.

"But no damage," commented another.

"Yeah, we gotta keep hitting it," I said. "Another bombing run. Remember when the sun is gone, that weapon will be ready to fire. But as long as there's light, we've got a chance!"

BB-8 began beeping in warning. One of the pilots had a first order TIE on their tail.

"I can't shake 'em!" he said.
"I'm on it!" I said. I shot down the TIE in one blow. "Watch out for ground fire!"

The battle was raging on. Their weapons began to push us out of the planet's atmosphere where more TIEs were.

"We just lost R-1!" one pilot said. "We're overwhelmed! What do we do? This isn't working!"

"Black leader," blue leader said to me. "There's a brand new hole in that olsilator!" he exclaimed. "Looks like our friends got in!"

"Red 4, red 6, cover us!" I said.

"Everybody else, hit the target hard and give it everything you've got!"

Hang in there Y/n.

I flew down into the channel. "Cover me from above!" I said.

"Rodger," said red 6. "Good luck, Poe."

I began to blow up sides of the walls. I flew out of the channel only to see that the planet was beginning to crack with molten red rock. Just as I reached the planet's atmosphere it blew up in a great firey mass. The millennium falcon's blue tail lights were in front of me.

"I've got eyes on them!" I said. The other pilots cheered over the intercom.

I'm on my way, Y/n.